Allow moderators to add a member to a group?

You can add group owners (custom groups only) at admin/groups (yourdomain.com/admin/groups/custom/group_name), there’s a field right below “Name” that says “Add owners” when you’re editing an individual group.

Group owners can do their thing on the public group page, at yourdomain.com/groups/group_name/members

If it’s not there, I’d assume it hasn’t been deployed to your instance. The feature (and groups in general) could use a bit more discoverability, but it’s not that hidden.

4 Likes

Ok, I see it now … thanks!

So, now we can have an open forum, where public members can’t see the members-only content.

Group moderators who can grant access to the “meat”… this is great!

Group owners can “boot” people from a forum by removing group membership, no admin perms needed. Awesome.

1 Like

Yeah I plan to add some shortcuts from the admin page, its practically impossible to find the group pages.

2 Likes

It appears that this plan never get around to happening? (Getting a link to the different group pages from the group admin area for moderators? Or for moderators to add users to groups from their profile pages when they have the permission to do so as group owners?)

I managed to get to our own private group’s member page, but only by carefully following the path given by @Yuun above as [quote=“Yuun, post:43, topic:16572”]
Group owners can do their thing on the public group page, at yourdomain.com/groups/group_name/members
[/quote]

I still see no links whatsoever to this page from the admin side on the Groups area of the dashboard. Nor do my moderators see any of this for groups they own.

The only workaround I’ve found is, as @badr wrote earlier

So those links still work and exist. They head to pages that work and exist but that are otherwise invisible to the rest of the site unless you magically stumble upon them. They seem, however, really useful pages where you can follow activity in a different way. Why are we obscuring these pages?

frustrating bubbling a bit
Why must this area of obvious oversight for forum administration be so difficult and silly?

Additional unforeseen sub-problem related to group pages:

Moderator is running beginner’s group. Moderator is member of advanced group and beginner’s group. Group page shows moderator’s beginner and advanced group posts even though moderator posted items in advanced group that would be unseen by beginner’s group. Basically secret back-room stuff is appearing in the front-room area. Shouldn’t the group page only display items that are viewable to that group’s level of permissions, e.g., if forum category A is beginner’s only and forum category B is advanced, group page for members of category A run by member of A+B should not display posts at all from category B in the group page for A.

Man that’s complicated–but also obviously not really working as intended from the admin level view of the beginner’s page where this is all going on.I impersonated a beginner to see if things look right and they do (which is super important) but I know it’ll confuse the moderators to see posts from B when they’re looking at the group page for A just because they’re in both groups.

I’m trying to keep things generic but I can post screen shots/use our specific names/categories/groups if that would be clearer or more helpful.

1 Like

You can also get group links by going to a user profile (if it’s your own, hit the expand button). The groups that user belongs to are listed in the little informational header above the nav, with links to the groups. Could still be a little more visible, but yeah. On my forums right now I’ve just got a topic with information about the custom groups and links to their pages (via the @group mentions, which are another source of group page links), to help things out a bit.

Well, the issue with this is that posts don’t belong to groups, they belong to users who themselves may belong to various groups. So how would you decide where a post should go? Right now it just goes to every group page that user is in, which may not be ideal, but it’s pretty straightforward.

For my part I haven’t found the post and topic listings on the group pages particularly useful (as opposed to mentions/members/messages, which are quite nice), and I’m sure this is part of it but I don’t really have any suggestions on how to improve it. At a certain point it’s better to just have group-specific categories if you really need something that restricted, I think.

And like you said (and I double checked), a user can’t go to the group page and see posts they don’t have permissions for (so e.g. the secret back-room stuff still only shows up for people who have permissions to see it), so no security issues at least. :slight_smile:

I suggested at one point removing the requirement that a group owner also be a member of the group, which could clear up the overlap in some cases, but I don’t think the suggestion got a lot of support, so /shrug.

4 Likes

I am not against that change, just feel it makes very little difference.

1 Like

Which is fair enough. I think it’s a handful of minor benefits at most, not much else to say about it.

This has been completed for a very long time.

Group owners can add and remove users from a group using the non admin group page.

4 Likes