API Functionality for invites

I have deployed a discourse installation which is invite only and I am looking for a way to trigger invitations from another website. However, I don’t want to invite users to a specific topic, but to the forum in general. The ideal solution for this is to have invites generated from the user profile page functionality.

Is there a way to generate invites from the API that will not tie the invite to a specific topic? Bonus points if it is possible to add the user to specific groups.
FYI, I’m going to implement this in python so I’m not looking for a solution via the ruby reference api implementation (And I checked that it doesn’t support it), however in the routes.txt file I can see some invitation specific endpoints. Do these work? If yes, how can I call them?

Frank neither of those has anything to do with API, they are part of the standard user interface on your user page, Invites tab.

Frank, thanks for the info, but it is not what I’m looking for. To be more specific, I don’t want to use the bulk invites functionality, I want to be able to do it on per user basis, just not tied to a specific topic.

At this point I’m thinking of diving in the server code to look into it myself, but I have no ruby experience whatsoever!

Okay. I understand. I will pull my comment. I don’t want to add confusion. Thanks for clarifying.

Sorry about that @codinghorror :confused: It was late and I was ‘scanning’ the question.

A bad answer is worse than no answer…

1 Like

Sent a PR to add Invite User functionality, without tying the invite to a specific topic:

https://github.com/discourse/discourse_api/pull/39

Yes, it is possible to add (invite) a user to specific/multiple groups. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Works like a charm. Thanks!

1 Like