Babble - A Chat Plugin

Incredible, James. Just freakin’ incredible! You’ve put so much into Babble in these last couple of weeks and it’s getting better and better. :fireworks:

For those of you who didn’t follow the previous Babble mega thread, the fact that James is pouring so much into Babble is all the more admirable when you read his context here.

Alright. Now for test results, James. I just did a round of testing with Babble 4.0.3 and there are some things that don’t work the way that I expect. I thought I’d send you a PM with the details, but others may be experiencing the same things, so I thought I’d put them here instead.

Sound Notifications Aren’t Working in a Specific Scenario

Let’s start with how I believe this should work:

I know you developed this feature specifically for my community (thanks!). It’s just not working the way I expect so far.

Here’s the scenario:

I tested this across browsers, mobile/tablet/desktop, and with Babble toggled open and closed. The result was always the same.

The good news is that 1:1 DMs within Babble and @ mentioning someone does generate the notification sound.

Side note: If you have multiple Discourse tabs open, the sound cascades across the tabs every 3-10 seconds. It’ll play in one tab, then another tab a few seconds later, then another tab a few seconds later, and so on.

User Level Babble Options Not Available When a User Isn’t a Moderator or Admin

A user doesn’t see the new Babble options at https://yourforumname.com/u/username/preferences/interface unless they have either Moderator or Admin privileges as defined at https://yourforumname.com/admin/users/NNNN/username. Without Moderator or Admin set to Yes, they don’t see the “Disable Babble chat completely” or “Enable browser sound for new chat notifications” at all.

Babble%20User%20Level%20Options%20Not%20Displaying

Perhaps this is by design. If it were me, I’d give access to the user level Babble options regardless of admin or moderator status and regardless of trust level. I don’t see the point of restricting the options.

Closing Babble on Mobile and Left Behind Animation Grayness

This could be due to the more assertive CSS changes you made so I can’t steamroll Babble as much or due to our unique Puttytribe community CSS.

1. Scroll down on a page
  2. Toggle Babble open
  3. Select a chat room
  4. Toggle Babble closed

Following those steps, it leaves a gray horizontal line leftover from where the closing animation failed to seemingly finish.

4 Likes