Babble - A Chat Plugin

I’m trying to create a chat channel based on a group and I get this error

Hm, ive pushed a fix for that particular error, although I dont think it was particularly related to creating a group channel. Can you let me know if that fixes it for you?

That fixed it, thank you! Amazing plugin btw.

1 Like

I gave up and had to disable it and then later after a discourse update the plugin caused my instance to fail to launch so I removed it.

I may check again later but the risk is not worth the feature.

This was fixed a while back and mentioned here. I’d suggest giving it another go @Jeff_Vienneau; Babble is stable with the latest Discourse at the moment, and I’ve been responding quickly to reports that things are broken.

2 Likes

Good to hear things are fixed. It was an experiment at the time and worth a re-visit later for sure.

I have problem with babble open by default function.
When I open forum nothing happens, no console errors.

Is this feature also not working with yours discourse?

1 Like

Hm, it’s enabled and appears to be working on discourse-babble.com; are you able to PM me your forum address? Are you able to open the chat normally from the bottom tab once the forum is loaded?

I see the same problem on our instance, can it be theme related? we use customised Material Design Stock Theme and Header Search Theme.
After enabling “open by default” site setting, Babble does not load at all (no button/tab as well)

I’ve pushed a fix just now; let me know if an update fixes it for you?

2 Likes

Like a charm! Thanks, James!

1 Like

Thanks for the plugin!

@gdpelican It seems the “is typing” text is not properly localized:

https://github.com/gdpelican/babble/blob/master/assets/javascripts/discourse/widgets/templates/babble-typing.js.es6#L17-L19

Could you take a look?

Ok, this is fixed in latest! :pineapple:

3 Likes

Thank you for being so fast!

Are the English sources automatically updated on Transifex?

EDIT: is is updated now, thanks.

I was able to change the text that said “Channels” in the past and now I cannot… I changed it to something dumb and it’s stuck. Can you please help?

The wrapper for the text that I am unable to change now is “babble-topic-switcher-title” :confused:

Hi @AirRockStar

You should be able to do this in Admin => Customize => Text Content, the key you’re looking for is js.babble.select_topic

<yoursite.com>/admin/customize/site_texts/js.babble.select_topic
1 Like

We just installed this plugin on our community and users like it very much.

However, we got several reports of lags when typing replies on mobile (from mid-range devices I would say). Characters appear with a significant delay. Do you think that is specific to this plugin or more generally to the topic engine of Discourse? What could be done to mitigate this performance issue?

N.B.: We are running Discourse stable.

I’ll have a look in the next bit; I’m aware of a performance issue with long (300+) posts loaded at the same time, and unfortunately this solution doesn’t work right out of the box (or, rather, it does speed up the performance, but it breaks several things like hitting ‘up’ to edit your last post, and automatically updating posts when people edit or delete them, etc.)

So I’ll have to dig a bit deeper into that to figure out a fix; it’s definitely on the list of things to work on.

EDIT: This should now be much improved by this commit; let me know if you’re still experiencing problems like this on latest @gkln?

1 Like

Great, thanks for looking into this!

However, I’m unable to test this change as the latest Babble commit breaks on our dev instance running Discourse stable. See the log below:

NameError (uninitialized constant User::HideChatNotifications::DB)
/var/www/discourse/plugins/babble/app/models/user.rb:26:in `unread_notifications'

Backtrace
/var/www/discourse/plugins/babble/app/models/user.rb:26:in `unread_notifications'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/active_model_serializers-0.8.3/lib/active_model/serializer.rb:99:in `block in attribute'
(eval):7:in `_fast_attributes'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/active_model_serializers-0.8.3/lib/active_model/serializer.rb:467:in `rescue in attributes'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/active_model_serializers-0.8.3/lib/active_model/serializer.rb:454:in `attributes'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/active_model_serializers-0.8.3/lib/active_model/serializer.rb:479:in `_serializable_hash'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/active_model_serializers-0.8.3/lib/active_model/serializer.rb:361:in `serializable_hash'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/active_model_serializers-0.8.3/lib/active_model/serializer.rb:349:in `as_json'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/activesupport-5.1.4/lib/active_support/json/encoding.rb:33:in `encode'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/activesupport-5.1.4/lib/active_support/json/encoding.rb:20:in `encode'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/activesupport-5.1.4/lib/active_support/core_ext/object/json.rb:39:in `to_json'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/active_model_serializers-0.8.3/lib/active_model/serializer.rb:333:in `to_json'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/multi_json-1.13.1/lib/multi_json/adapters/oj.rb:40:in `dump'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/multi_json-1.13.1/lib/multi_json/adapters/oj.rb:40:in `dump'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/multi_json-1.13.1/lib/multi_json/adapter.rb:25:in `dump'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/multi_json-1.13.1/lib/multi_json.rb:139:in `dump'
/var/www/discourse/app/controllers/application_controller.rb:493:in `preload_current_user_data'
/var/www/discourse/app/controllers/application_controller.rb:300:in `preload_json'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/activesupport-5.1.4/lib/active_support/callbacks.rb:413:in `block in make_lambda'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/activesupport-5.1.4/lib/active_support/callbacks.rb:197:in `block (2 levels) in halting'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/actionpack-5.1.4/lib/abstract_controller/callbacks.rb:12:in `block (2 levels) in <module:Callbacks>'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/activesupport-5.1.4/lib/active_support/callbacks.rb:198:in `block in halting'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/activesupport-5.1.4/lib/active_support/callbacks.rb:507:in `block in invoke_before'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/activesupport-5.1.4/lib/active_support/callbacks.rb:507:in `each'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/activesupport-5.1.4/lib/active_support/callbacks.rb:507:in `invoke_before'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/activesupport-5.1.4/lib/active_support/callbacks.rb:130:in `run_callbacks'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/actionpack-5.1.4/lib/abstract_controller/callbacks.rb:19:in `process_action'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/actionpack-5.1.4/lib/action_controller/metal/rescue.rb:20:in `process_action'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/actionpack-5.1.4/lib/action_controller/metal/instrumentation.rb:32:in `block in process_action'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/activesupport-5.1.4/lib/active_support/notifications.rb:166:in `block in instrument'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/activesupport-5.1.4/lib/active_support/notifications/instrumenter.rb:21:in `instrument'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/activesupport-5.1.4/lib/active_support/notifications.rb:166:in `instrument'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/actionpack-5.1.4/lib/action_controller/metal/instrumentation.rb:30:in `process_action'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/actionpack-5.1.4/lib/action_controller/metal/params_wrapper.rb:252:in `process_action'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/activerecord-5.1.4/lib/active_record/railties/controller_runtime.rb:22:in `process_action'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/actionpack-5.1.4/lib/abstract_controller/base.rb:124:in `process'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/actionview-5.1.4/lib/action_view/rendering.rb:30:in `process'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/rack-mini-profiler-1.0.0/lib/mini_profiler/profiling_methods.rb:104:in `block in profile_method'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/actionpack-5.1.4/lib/action_controller/metal.rb:189:in `dispatch'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/actionpack-5.1.4/lib/action_controller/metal.rb:253:in `dispatch'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/actionpack-5.1.4/lib/action_dispatch/routing/route_set.rb:49:in `dispatch'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/actionpack-5.1.4/lib/action_dispatch/routing/route_set.rb:31:in `serve'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/actionpack-5.1.4/lib/action_dispatch/routing/mapper.rb:16:in `block in <class:Constraints>'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/actionpack-5.1.4/lib/action_dispatch/routing/mapper.rb:46:in `serve'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/actionpack-5.1.4/lib/action_dispatch/journey/router.rb:50:in `block in serve'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/actionpack-5.1.4/lib/action_dispatch/journey/router.rb:33:in `each'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/actionpack-5.1.4/lib/action_dispatch/journey/router.rb:33:in `serve'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/actionpack-5.1.4/lib/action_dispatch/routing/route_set.rb:834:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/rack-protection-2.0.1/lib/rack/protection/frame_options.rb:31:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/lib/middleware/omniauth_bypass_middleware.rb:24:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/rack-2.0.5/lib/rack/conditional_get.rb:25:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/rack-2.0.5/lib/rack/head.rb:12:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/lib/middleware/anonymous_cache.rb:200:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/rack-2.0.5/lib/rack/session/abstract/id.rb:232:in `context'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/rack-2.0.5/lib/rack/session/abstract/id.rb:226:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/actionpack-5.1.4/lib/action_dispatch/middleware/cookies.rb:613:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/actionpack-5.1.4/lib/action_dispatch/middleware/callbacks.rb:26:in `block in call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/activesupport-5.1.4/lib/active_support/callbacks.rb:97:in `run_callbacks'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/actionpack-5.1.4/lib/action_dispatch/middleware/callbacks.rb:24:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/actionpack-5.1.4/lib/action_dispatch/middleware/debug_exceptions.rb:59:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/actionpack-5.1.4/lib/action_dispatch/middleware/show_exceptions.rb:31:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/logster-1.2.9/lib/logster/middleware/reporter.rb:31:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/railties-5.1.4/lib/rails/rack/logger.rb:36:in `call_app'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/railties-5.1.4/lib/rails/rack/logger.rb:26:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/config/initializers/100-quiet_logger.rb:16:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/config/initializers/100-silence_logger.rb:29:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/actionpack-5.1.4/lib/action_dispatch/middleware/remote_ip.rb:79:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/actionpack-5.1.4/lib/action_dispatch/middleware/request_id.rb:25:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/rack-2.0.5/lib/rack/method_override.rb:22:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/actionpack-5.1.4/lib/action_dispatch/middleware/executor.rb:12:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/rack-2.0.5/lib/rack/sendfile.rb:111:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/rack-mini-profiler-1.0.0/lib/mini_profiler/profiler.rb:285:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/message_bus-2.1.5/lib/message_bus/rack/middleware.rb:63:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/lib/middleware/request_tracker.rb:186:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/railties-5.1.4/lib/rails/engine.rb:522:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/railties-5.1.4/lib/rails/railtie.rb:185:in `public_send'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/railties-5.1.4/lib/rails/railtie.rb:185:in `method_missing'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/rack-2.0.5/lib/rack/urlmap.rb:68:in `block in call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/rack-2.0.5/lib/rack/urlmap.rb:53:in `each'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/rack-2.0.5/lib/rack/urlmap.rb:53:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/unicorn-5.4.0/lib/unicorn/http_server.rb:606:in `process_client'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/unicorn-5.4.0/lib/unicorn/http_server.rb:701:in `worker_loop'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/unicorn-5.4.0/lib/unicorn/http_server.rb:549:in `spawn_missing_workers'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/unicorn-5.4.0/lib/unicorn/http_server.rb:142:in `start'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/unicorn-5.4.0/bin/unicorn:126:in `<top (required)>'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/bin/unicorn:23:in `load'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/bin/unicorn:23:in `<main>'

It’s really weird, but somehow I can’t see or just delete any topic created by Babble Plugin which was removed before: