Back button in iOS PWA

What about a back button coded in a theme component? Would something like that suffice for a PWA?

1 Like

Even better if it can detect that is inside an iOS PWA and activates automatically. No idea about how the UI would be…

2 Likes

This sounds like a lot of work to satisfy a very small number. This topic is 10 months old and has garnered all of 28 responses out of 900+ views. People are hardly breaking the door down for it to be implemented.

1 Like

this was already active, I think people realizing that its gone is what triggered it. I have screenshots of it working 8 days ago. It stopped loggin me in and I cannot get back logged into it. Im at the point ill pay 2000 for an app that does it. It looks so much cleaner without it

Old home screen shortcuts would continue to work, and there may be very old discourse installations where it’s still enabled (because they’ve not updated in a very long while) but it has been out of core for some time now.

oh i didnt install discourse app for it, im talking about just hitting the safari add to home screen button

As am I.

The behavior you’re talking about is controlled by the site you bookmark on the homescreen, and PWA has been disabled in tests-passed (the default that everyone deploys) for a while now.

2 Likes

why cant there be a setting that enables us to use it on the backend, I get it that there are features that dont work but that allows us to make it available

Because that setting would be for all users of a site, not on a per-user basis. That means the site they’re typically used to browsing on mobile/desktop loses the ability to go back a page when they misclick, or want to retread their steps, and can only go to home and start over.

All to reclaim this (red arrows):

On that screen size the red arrow marks out around ~100 pixels, or around 4% of the screen height.

Discourse has millions of users globally, this topic has three people asking about reverting a change. No customers are asking for it’s reintroduction for good reason, that kind of crippled UX borders on user-hostile.

2 Likes

right but a lot of the people I can assure you do not add a bookmark to their screen. I am sure the owner of the company or someone with the proper authority can show you how mamny people use the discourse app. Again this is irrelevant. What is relevant that if someone wants to use it without the silly addressbar on the top it is programmable for a simple switch to turn on said such meta tags to shut it down. Matter of fact, you could go a step further and allow customer header code that would be accepted to shut it down

You’re just making more of a case not to implement this - if it’s for an audience of one, to reclaim 4% of the screen height, it’s not worth the development effort.

Look at my screenshot, the address bar collapses as you scroll down, reducing the height by around ~40%. There’s also value in seeing the domain name and SSL icon.

see this is def a case by case, my discourse is not public and is a closed group. I dont know why I am sitting here arguing with you as I would like it done to my site as it was before. If you dont like it, then you dont like it. Im not going to get into a pissing match with you because you dont like it.

Youre also NOT factoring in the safari bar on the bottom

1 Like

I am, as soon as you begin scrolling that bar disappears - as per my screenshot.

There’s no pissing contest here - you need to convince the team that this is worth the engineering effort, which you aren’t doing.

right but the gray on the top doesnt blend well (where it says wifi), and when you scroll up the bar on the bottom pops back up. It just seems like a such a ridiculous argument when I made it clear ill pay whatever to get them gone. I just dont like it on my site as 300 other people.

I dont need to convince them, ill pay them if I have to. Its worth it for me, whether or not its worth it to you is kind of irrelevant at this point. The point is, it was there and now its gone. So it was one time there. If it was never there we wouldnt be having this. Its like me selling the products on my store and then I up the price later or no longer sell what I was selling. ITs kind of like I bought into it, I loved it and now its gone and I miss it.

1 Like

We will add a configurable site setting for this next week, so admins can enable and disable and test whenever PWA support by browser vendros change.

9 Likes

ty @Falco I am forever indebted to you :wink:

do we know if its early next week and will it be in the release notes?

We will have the change deployed to your site by Monday the 29th of October

Here’s a back/forward component I threw together. I used @media to make it appear since ‘Mobile’ doesn’t work for an ipad. This was developed for an app so it has no way to detect iOS PWA. I’d be happy to add it if anyone has ideas.

https://github.com/davidkingham/mobile-navigation/

I found a snippet on this page, but my skills are lacking to implement it.

4 Likes