Back button in iOS PWA

But this doesn’t mean we can share to Discourse yet? Guess this would require the implementation of the Web Share Target API? In any case I couldn’t find a control to do this within Safari despite having added Meta to Home Screen. So I guess that’s 12.3 … This would be the tipping point for adoption for me.

Also to report: can’t type in Composer with GBoard, a third party keyboard. Native keyboard works fine but you have to completely disable GBoard as you can’t even switch keyboards! :sweat_smile: Perhaps this is enforced as part of security implementation?

That would be my immediate thought as well, if it is intentional, but it seems more likely to just be a bug. After all, you can use Gboard in mobile Safari.

1 Like

I can’t do this in the native app either, though. Am I missing something?

With the way iOS is set up, I wouldn’t count on the Web Target Share API happening at all.

This is a feature on the Android PWA only.

5 Likes

I’ve just installed iOS 12.3 Public Beta and this is now resolved: you should be able to use GBoard in the iOS PWA version of your app and no doubt other third party keyboards.

One caveat: you can’t use it on the login dialogue - my workaround was to select the password field and then use the iOS shortcut to enter my login details.

5 Likes

Looks like Apple has added navigation controls at the foot of the app in iOS 12.3 public beta 2?

5 Likes

That’s us, not Apple. We implemented back/forward support on iOS PWA. It will land soon in the DiscourseHub app as well.

13 Likes

Aha, thanks. It appeared the moment I installed the new iOS beta. Me and my assumptions! That would explain why it matches the theme! :smiley: Well I guess you had people asking for it so fair enough. Was happy with swipe back though. :slight_smile:

PS taken a second look. I like the way it ‘gets out of the way’ when you are scrolling down and therefore focussing on the bottom of the screen, and appears at the bottom when scrolling up, when you are focussing on the top of the screen. So not so intrusive. Makes sense. Thanks!

6 Likes

I think we are good to close this now. Penar has down an awesome job here.:relieved:

@pmusaraj is still slightly tweaking stuff, but the fundamental change is in! We now display a back / forward button in iOS PWA (and Chrome Desktop PWA soon)

7 Likes