Backup fails on localhost with docker

I’m having issues with creating a backup from the admin section, running discourse from the docker container on localhost.

The error I’m getting is:
pg_dump: error: connection to database "discourse development" failed: FATAL: Peer authentication failed for user "postgres".

I checked the pg_hba.conf file, and have all options set to trust.

Would be great if I could get some assistance on how to get this to work.

I tried on Ubuntu as well as on MacOSX. Everything else from the discourse instance is working fine on both (creating Posts, API…) except for the backup functionality.

1 Like

That could be a regression. It should be using user discourse, I’d think.

1 Like

Where could I change the user being used by discourse?

1 Like

How did you install?

1 Like

Following this tutorial:

As I said, everything works fine, except for the backup.

2 Likes

Hi Max! Were you able to fix this issue?
I’m currently having the exact same problem, although I first detected it trying to make a restore on my local docker development install.

2 Likes

Hi @max-elia I’ve also run into this problem, were you able to get it fixed by any chance?

2 Likes

I fixed it by adding username: discourse directly into my database.yml. Thank you!

2 Likes

where in the file did you add it and what else did you do?? Adding it to the development section and simply restarting (d/shutdown_dev; d/boot_dev) didn’t do it for me.

Right under adapter: postgresql in the config/database.yml Then I followed the script/discourse restore <filename.of.the.backup.tar.gz> Which was what I was trying to accomplish.

1 Like