Best configurations for speeding up standalone discourse

The queuing means you can do with more web workers

Additionally your median times look pretty high, can you get this on a faster CPU?

2 Likes

Unfortunately, even if the reason for the slowness is this plugin, I must say that this plugin is one of the main plugins of our community and can not be removed from us in any way, and users become heavily depended on it! :sweat_smile:

We currently use 24 web workers. Our Discourse is installed on a VM with 24 CPU cores with 2 GHz processing power and 24 GB of RAM. Unfortunately, it is not possible to change the main server now, unless we have no other way to improve performance.

Do you think that in the current situation, increasing the number of web workers can help to improve performance?

More web workers may reduce the queueing

You are trying to eliminate the orange lines from the active web request graph

Performance though will not get any better for your typical median request

2 Likes

Thanks, I understand now. So by looking at the graphs we can see if the number of web workers is enough or not enough for the system.

But according to you, to improve the speed and performance, we now need higher processing power and changing the parameters will not help more.

Be sure to test this at the earliest opportunity and inform the result.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Telegram Notifications Plugin (discourse-telegram-notifications)

What’s the source of 502s? not enough unicorn workers? We just moved servers and users have been reporting occasional 502s after the move. We have a 6C/16GB server, and set the unicorn_workers to 16 (before we moved server it was at 12), db_shared_buffer to 4GB, db_work_mem to 60MB.

Would having too many unicorn workers cause 502s? (speculating since we had 4 fewer before the server migration)

I am trying to see if its the configuration that we need to tweak or something else that we need to address.

Thanks.

Yes, that seems high. Set your unicorn workers between 1 and 2 per core.
For 6 cores, it should be no more than 12. Given your fairly large shared buffer and my gut feeling I would set it to 10 or so with such server specs.

2 Likes