Best free option to protect discourse from many requests

If they flood the web site, they will get that 429 message so that they will not be able to continue to flood your site. Just like it did for him. The server isn’t giving him that message because you “authorized” him. It is keeping him from accessing the site because he is being malicious. If they flood the web site all day long it will not affect your server because they will get only the 429 page.

You are already protected.

Often people get that 429 error when they should not, and they are unable to access their site. That is a problem. You have no problem. You are unable to access your site if you try to take it down. That is what you want.

5 Likes

This one is no longer working right ? - to activate the cloudflare ?

We will publish a new guide on cloudflare soon.

Although you seem to be ignoring the earlier statements that Cloudflare won’t do anything for you here.

3 Likes

my apology to you, but i am not, you was clear enough at the part below:

And i can say absolutely you know better than me, i always wanted to connect my website to cloudflare even before this event so i took the advantage of this post to ask again.
Again am sorry, and i do appreciate you guys effort in helping me, am fully aware of the fact that cloudflare will not help.

i fully understand what you saying, you mean the flood of requests cannot damage the data on the server !!
ok, sounds well but what am gonna do with a server not affected if somebody can shutdown my website for 10 minutes 5 times a day with a small piece of software ?

what i need to know here, what is the best method to have all these requests without having 429 page ? i just wanna keep the website running smoothly under this scenario.
because the users cares about no protected server but about getting to the website and see the content.

This is the last time that I will try explain.

The only people who will not be able to see your site are people who are running a program that tries to make it inaccessible.

While the people who run software to crash your site see the 429 error, everyone else sees the site just fine.

8 Likes

You can’t imagine how stupid i am :wink:
For real am not a programmer this is why the people must talk to me in simple language.
The part above is clear.
Thanks a lot for your time sir.

2 Likes

You can find many, many stupid things that I’ve said here, I assure you!

Glad that I (think I) finally explained it in a way you could understand. Sorry it took me so many tries.

8 Likes

If there ever was an award for the most patient man on meta here.
You’d be the most voted person for that award, I’m sure.

5 Likes