Beta testing the iOS mobile app

Sure we can call it “read/ clear notifications”

Basically we need to introduce a concept of scopes, this is how I would lay it out:

id  name                description (localizable)
--  ---------           -----------
1   notification_edit   Read / clear notifications
2   user_info           Read private user info
3   message_bus         Recieve updates from site

permissions

id  controller     action  type
--  -------        -----   ----
1   notifications  get    :get
etc... 
3 Likes

Is there anything specific to the iPhone 7 that needs testing? It’s working well so far:)

Cool, I got that sorted in latest beta that I just published :slight_smile:

https://github.com/discourse/DiscourseMobile/commit/e4a9e4d2803d043e0c90e265fda0571fffa910c2

6 Likes

Really appreciate your efforts on this, @sam. Push notifications are such an important part of the mobile experience, and mobile is king, these days.

A web view onto Discourse and simple push layer was a good choice of approach, and it’s great that you’ve open-sourced it.

Thanks for sharing your work.

2 Likes

I’d like to test the app!

One minor inconvenience with the app: when app goes in background (double tap Home button, go to another app and then return) it immediately refreshes the site if user is in a site.

Is this by design?

1 Like

Not following, you mean the web browser or the site list?

The web browser. If I am on a page on say mera.discourse.org and I switch to another app and return, the page refreshes.

Update: It doesn’t always refresh. Weird.

Yeah this is out of the apps control, happens when safari decides it is low on memory, does not happen on iPhone 7 that much, not that it is much of a consultation

Yeah, ok. It makes sense.

When a notification about my post being marked as a solution pops up. The notifications tab shows ‘Unmapped type 14’

Happens on both iOS and Android versions

4 Likes

@sam Thanks… I love this app, can you share future roadmap? When do you expect it available in App Store for end-users?

Ouch, I missed this will catch it next update.

@Overgrow we are blocked at the moment on getting a D-U-N-S so we can create a team account on iTunes. We will have the app released publicly in anywhere between 2 weeks and 2 months.

I just did a new release today:

• Fixes occasional blank screen on launch
  • Introduces new user api, this API defines the concept of scopes, you no longer have to grant full write access to the app.
  • Upgrades internal components
  • Fixes a case where the search field would clear after submit

note the change to the app is breaking, it will only work on the absolute latest releases of Discourse. I am deploying stuff internally now.

Overall, I feel the app is in a good enough shape to go in the app store now, our internal APIs are all good and the app is feature complete enough for a v1.

8 Likes

I have a little problem with notifications. Is it possible that the notification wouldn’t include the spoiler? It would look nicer in my opinion.
Notification on iOS:

Post on the Infinite Flight community:

This happens on my iPhone 5S (iOS 10.1) and my iPad Mini 2 (iOS 10.0.2). Both devices are running the most recent version of your app (1.0).

5 Likes

Agree, our excerpt parser should do a better job with spoilers

4 Likes

Super rare, the spoiler would need to be in the first 140 chars, which is … bizarre.

1 Like

@sam - if I can get an invite, I would love to help with testing. Mobile app is a big request on my site too coalition.agileuprising.com

@joffrey_jaffeux something weird is going on with safari view controller on latest

Seems we are missing padding at top

No repro on my iPhone 7 plus.

1 Like

can you constantly reproduce it? does it involve screen rotation?

1 Like