Better documentation navigation with a new sidebar

Mmm, does anyone think the sidebar links look a bit too light? Especially with meta branding

2 Likes

It looks alright to me, and the colour contrast meets WCAG level AA standards: https://webaim.org/resources/contrastchecker/?fcolor=646464&bcolor=FFFFFF.

Everyone is different, though - do you find it difficult to read?

1 Like

Then that should be my problem. It kind of takes the focus away for me…maybe only for me.

1 Like

If anyone else feels similarly, we can dig into it some more and try some other contrasts.

It leverages the sidebar excellently. We used to have a plugin that functioned similarly in the past, but it only added the docs tree to the header. The sidebar is much better suited for this purpose.

From a UX standpoint, it’s working well. The only thing I’m missing is a complete “tree” in the sidebar.

Currently, there is no option to navigate between “main” documentation categories in the sidebar or return to the root level.

If you switch to, for example, “General Usage,” you should have the ability to navigate up to the root level (Documentation). Perhaps a link like ← Back to Documentation Main could be included below ← Back to Forum.

In general, I believe that two levels of tree categories are sufficient, and it would be wonderful if the sidebar could support both levels.

4 Likes

This is something we’re looking into already! I agree that it would be nice to have, and we’re figuring out what it looks like.

Currently, you can navigate back by clicking on the category names in the header, but we’re working on a better way to make that possible.

4 Likes

I have a suggestion for this new sidebar.
Add a tab system at the bottom. So you can switch between the documentation sidebar and the normal sidebar. Saves you having to wait for the page to load. I would think of it as:

[documentation][forum/general][admin menu?]
[filter]
[guides]
[theme/customization]

A lot like the suggestion I made for the admin sidebar.
If you are a moderator, a third tab can be in there as well for even faster navigation.

3 Likes