Blurry top banner picture in Chrome?

Not sure if it’s a bug. But in Chrome I see a blurry top banner picture while in Firefox it’s a high resolution one. A month ago or so it was also in high resolution on Chrome. I have a 4K monitor by the way, maybe that makes a difference as well.

An example:

2 Likes

Can others reproduce this low resolution banner? I only see it in Chrome. Firefox doesn’t do this. I’ve uploaded an SVG, so it should resize just fine, as it does in Firefox. Using Discourse 3.0.0.beta15. It only shows with high resolution monitors (4K).

This is how it looks in Firefox.

3 Likes

I’m not 100% sure, but this might be due to how Chrome downscales images? I’ve run into a similar issue from time to time. If you resize the image being used so it doesn’t have to be downscaled, that may help.

2 Likes

As a test I made the SVG 25% the size of the original, but it still has the same effect on Chrome. It’s a recent change (maybe 2 months). The SVG repeats itself, even at the size of 300px it has this strange effect. I personally don’t use Chrome. But since it’s the most popular browser some people might think I made a crappy image :nerd_face: I guess I’ll ignore it for now.

3 Likes