Bootstrap fails on CentOS 7

Hi Krami i have a centos 7 and i change storage from devicemapper to overlay and when i launch the rebuild It send me error and is because I have ftype=0

[cevmf@server discourse]$ xfs_info /usr/lib/systemd/system/docker.service | grep ftype
naming   =version 2              bsize=4096   ascii-ci=0 ftype=0

I try to change like you said with:

sudo mkfs.xfs -n ftype=1 /usr/lib/systemd/system/docker.service

but without luck, can you please help me what i´m doing wrong.

That’s not how you use mkfs.xfs … Yo need to have some basic understanding of filesystem vs. files.

mkfs.xfs creates a new filesystem(means wipes existing one if there already is) on a partition, it is not meant to be used on a file.

Here is RHEL storage administration guide. You have to at least understand partition and xfs.

You may need to spend sometime on it before you start to play with your precious data.

4 Likes

Hi Kraml in the solution 1, suppousing that I have the partition ext4 I just have to do a new installation of docker there?, and uninstalling the other version of docker? without move nothing in /var/discourse correct?

You need to mount the new partition under /var/lib/docker. If your don’t have containers other than discourse, you can stop docker, rename /var/lib/docker directory(for backup purpose), create a new one, mount the new partition under it, and start docker again. Then you need to bootstrap discourse and get back the container. Your discourse data is not under /var/lib/docker so they won’t lose.

3 Likes

To use overlay the new partition must be EXT4 or XFS with the flag ftype enabled… EXT4 is the recomended option.

2 Likes

The issue described in this thread (permission denied) is due to SELinux, not ftype=0.

See Support official Docker packages on Red Hat/CentOS

2 Likes