Can I change the display text for username?

I am beginning to build a community for my local ham radio club. I’d like to present the username field as “callsign” instead so people will register using their FCC issued callsign. Is there an easy way to accomplish this? And if so can I also put some description along with it?

1 Like

You might get a lot of the way by going to /admin/customize/site_texts?q=username. That will show all the instances of “username” that can be overridden.

Not sure about the descriptive text.

Also, you could just add a profile field. Not sure if everyone’s callsign makes for a good username, so having a freeform text field might work better. I do that for jabber addresses. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If you are having trouble finding the correct strings to customize, you could try the method given here: Find a translation key with verbose localization. Let me know if you have any trouble following that guide.

2 Likes

Second the idea for “forcing” folks to use their calls as their login user name, and changing the UI to stress that. If someone doesn’t yet have their ticket, they wouldn’t necessarily be required to use a callsign, however, and I don’t see any easy way to force folks from using something else if they want to, in which case the UI text changes could be a little confusing for those who didn’t use their calls.

Otherwise, AFAICT you’re pretty much stuck having folks use a custom field, but not sure how you could get that to display alongside their posts.

Good luck! 73 de N2UN

2 Likes

I agree with you there. The thought was to change “username” to “callsign” but then include some sort of tooltip or description to say that if you hadn’t gotten you ticket yet, you could just put whatever you wanted.

2 Likes

That’s what I gathered from playing around, but it tells me there are over 50 instances of username… Not sure I want to adjust it bad enough to have to change something that might inadvertently break the whole thing :smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the info! I’ll take a look at this. Might be just easier to make it a user field based on other feedback here.

2 Likes