Can posts be set to empty?

I just want users to type the topic title only. Would this be possible?

1 Like

Your mean a topic set to empty. You can do the following, but I don’t see any need of creating a topic with 0 content:

Example: <div align=center> <characters> </div>

It will appear to public as empty, but inside the post you have that format ^

1 Like

Thank you.

Well, I want to create a forum where people post short questions only. That’s why I only want people to just type their question in the title.

But then other people can come and answer by replying, just like a normal forum.

So, I would like to hide the content box just for when posting a new topic, but not for when replying. Would this be possible?

I hope you get what I mean.

2 Likes

Why don’t they include the questions in the content post, and a small brief of the question as a title? What you say is not possible.

How about just changing the minimum number of characters in the content post to 0?

1 Like

It sounds like you may be wanting a Question - Answer app more than an app for Discussion.

eg. title: “What is the best Ember based forum app?”
post content: n/a
vs.
title: “What is the best Ember based forum app?”
post content: “I am looking for a forum app that runs more like a desktop app than a traditional forum experience. My shop knows Ember well so I am leaning more towards Ember. Free would be ideal. Anyone have suggestions and why? TIA”

Which would be more likely to encourage a discussion? Which would be more likely to get meaningful replies?

Granted, I don’t know your community, just saying if you truly need no content posts you may want to give your choice of platform some thought.

2 Likes

Set min first post length(maybe other posting setting, not sure) to 0 and you need to customize the new topic’s composer like hide the content editor or build your own one, I think is possible to do what your say.

1 Like

the minimum value is set 1, sadly. slightly irksome as people can’t just respond with images and often have to enter a full stop just to meet the 1 character requirement. obviously minor, but it would be nice to at least have the option to customize it to 0, or possibly having images being in a post negate the 1 character rule.

1 Like

I came across a similar need using the Topic Ratings plugin, where I’d like users to be able to omit the post content entirely if a rating is submitted.

2 Likes

I have solved it with a plugin:

It allows to set «min first post length» to 0.