Cant backup because of version mismatch on aws

Hi, I’m configuring an environment that is pointed at an external AWS rds instance (postgres 11.x)

I notice this error when trying to backup through the UI:

[2019-10-25 21:50:35] Dumping the public schema of the database...
[2019-10-25 21:50:35] pg_dump: server version: 11.5; pg_dump version: 10.10 (Debian 10.10-1.pgdg100+1)
[2019-10-25 21:50:35] pg_dump: aborting because of server version mismatch

I guess this is because the docker container’s pg_dump version is not matching the version of the external rds database. Any suggestions on how to deal with this? Should I just use an external db that isn’t 11.x?

1 Like

The supported PostgreSQL version currently is 10.x. We plan on upgrading to 12.x in the next release cycle.

7 Likes

Google Cloud Platform provides Postgres 11 by default. Version 10 is only available as “beta”.

When can we expect support for 11.x?

We plan on moving to 12.x in a few months. 11.x will be skipped.

2 Likes

We deployed on postgres 11 already.
Can we continue using?
Is backup the only feature not working?
How to downgrade to 10, if we can not export/import?

As PostgreSQL is very solid on keeping features working and not trigger happy with removing features it should work, except for the backup and restore which depends on the container pg_dump version.

We don’t run it, and don’t test on it, so you are on your own if any problem arises.

3 Likes

We were in the same boat: deployed on GCP-managed Postgres 11 because the docs called for Postgres 10+.

We just ended up adding a custom command to our bootstrap to install the PG 11 client tools and swap pg_dump to use that version by default.

- exec:
      cmd:
        - apt-get update && apt-get install postgresql-client-11 && update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/pg_dump pg_dump /usr/lib/postgresql/11/bin/pg_dump 1
1 Like

This is a reasonable workaround, we plan to upgrade pg in our official images to 12 over the next few months

4 Likes

We now run PostgreSQL 12 update which is available in AWS RDS.

2 Likes