Can't insert space next to an emoji inside <kbd> tags

<kbd>:blue_square: any text</kbd>

Will render the same as:

<kbd>:blue_square:any text</kbd>

:blue_square: any text

There is no visible space between the emoji and the text, though the space is present in the HTML code.

Is that a limitation of the <kbd> tag? Is there an elegant way to fix it or should we rely on hacky stuff like &nbsp; or etc?

<kbd>:blue_square:&nbsp;any text</kbd>

:blue_square: any text

<kbd>:blue_square:ㅤany text</kbd>

:blue_square:ㅤany text

It’s probably the display: inline-flex; that is applied to KBD tags, forcing stuff closer together.

There may be a CSS workaround here, not sure.

1 Like

One solution is to add some values for the white-space property, like pre-wrap, but it will cause issues if we have one more multiple line breaks inside <kbd>.

Would become:

An alternative would be to automatically add left and/or right margins on the emoji if it’s not the first or last element.

In the current state:

With this added CSS:

kbd {
    // current rules
    img {
        margin: 0 .5em;
        &:first-child {
            margin-left: 0;
        }
        &:last-child {
            margin-right: 0;
        }
    }
}

Would these forced margins be acceptable? It’s prettier and increases readability, but it will be impossible for the user to not have a margin between the emoji and some text (as for me, I’d be happy since I see the forced margin as a benefit).

2 Likes

Not sure about this, let’s see what @Designers thing. Ideally we can just teach inline-flex to be more … flexible

3 Likes

I think we can use the gap property for this? the problem is that changing kbd to use flexbox removed any natural space between elements within:

kbd {
  gap: 0.5em;
}

produces:

Screenshot 2022-12-08 at 1.06.10 PM

This would add space between any HTML elements within the KBD tag, and wouldn’t require any exceptions for first/last-child.

3 Likes

I’ve just merged this in:

4 Likes

Awesome, thanks! :+1:

Didn’t know the gap property by the way, always good to learn something.

3 Likes