Can't search blocked IPs

Okay, so here is the scenario:

1. Abusive member or spammer (doesn’t matter) posts.
  2. Use Spam flag and Ban their IP/Email.
  3. Member concedes to Admin and apologizes so we are told to give him a second chance
  4. Go to Admin > Screened IPs area only to realize his IP is not listed in the 200 entries returned
  5. Type IP into search, only to realize there is no search… that is for adding a new IP to the list, not modifying one.

Tell Admin, we can’t figure out how to do this… :frowning:

As an aside, I find it very annoying that being so IP centric that Discourse limits the number of IPs we can see without any way to get to another list of them. If I ban someone months ago and they appeal, how do I unblock their IP? Or what if the IP got reassigned to someone else who hasn’t abused our system, how do I unblock it then without knowing if their IP is truly blocked or not (someone emails our contact email to ask why they can’t sign up… how do you nail that down to a blocked IP address if you can’t see all of the blocked IP addresses)?

5 Likes

So there are two options, then:

1. Add a search to the Screened IPs / URLs / EMails sections

2. Properly paginate the lists so they load more as you scroll down

I favor the second option, but it still won’t be great if you have thousands of screened IPs. Can you export the list and tell me how many you have?

According to our co-admin, the number of Screened IPs is currently 2031

I’d be thrilled with either of those approaches. Search is probably the more important option. It would give us ways of finding specific IP addresses which seems to be our biggest concern right now.

Paging would also be nice but wouldn’t easily solve our immediate need but would help us make decisions or answer questions we may get.

5 Likes

I agree. In lieu of more advanced Sorting, Search could allow for Filtering and would also allow for informed roll ups.

I’ll work on adding search tomorrow :wink:

7 Likes

Sorry for the delay, there you go :baby_chick:

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/commit/c4e427cf73b6ec24bdcf753c967e78106fa18f30

You can filter using either 192.* or 192.0.0.0/8 :wink:

4 Likes