Category badges go missing at random

I took two screenshots which I can’t attach here. I sometimes see topics without a category badge. When I edit the topic (I can because it’s either my own topic or I am TL3 or TL4) I see that the category has been assigned, but the badge is just not being displayed. I am seeing it right now on this very forum.

the badge is missing both on the overview of topics and when I open the topic itself.

I have in the past also see it happen to all badges of a particular category, but most often it happens to one or two topics at the time. I think after an hour or so I have seen the badge show up again.

1 Like

One explanation for the topic list is that we suppress the badge when you’re filtered to a specific category:

Though going missing within a topic and one or two at a time on the topic list leads me to believe it’s not that…

Can you share a screenshot the next time you see that happen?

1 Like

I’ve actually seen this bug before @awesomerobot, so technically I can repro. I was wondering why some topics would be randomly missing their category badge…

It’s kind of devilish to repro, but I remember it happening in Suggested Topics and thinking “hmm, that’s really odd”

3 Likes

I’ve also seen it, and like Jeff have never found a consistent repro.

4 Likes

In that case I was viewing a category which had subcategories. Normally one would see the listed topics with all the badges of the subcategories as well in this overview, but all category badges were missing on all topics.

I once opened my browser tools to study what was happening. I noticed that the row was there, but the bad element was not in the HTML, indicating that the badge simply hadn’t been included in rendering the page.

<div class="link-bottom-line">

</div>

1 Like

Excellent – if you can get repro steps, we can nail this down and fix it. I agree it is definitely happening sometimes.

4 Likes

How do you expect that to happen? I’ve been seeing this bug for over a year and I have no clue how to reproduce it.

Here is a screenshot of what may happen to a category page, it should be showing category badges and the subcategory badges.

1 Like

Oh wow over a year. I’ve only noticed it recently.

Not singling you out, apologies if it came across that way – but the key to fixing any bug is to have a consistent set of steps to reproduce it. That’s the basis of software engineering. We will keep this topic open, and over time hopefully figure out a repro.

3 Likes

I can confirm, over a year. Never reported it as I couldn’t get a good repro.

3 Likes

I was able to get a sort of repro on our internal Discourse instance. Unfortunately I can’t post about it here since it has a bunch of private data in the screenshots, but I have a definite repro – and it repros even in the topic itself, that is, if you click through to the topic it looks like it has no category. Once you press the edit button on the title, then and only then do you see the category is really there!

It also persists between navigation to various topics and back to the topic list.

So, I don’t know how I got the topic to that state, other than replying to it, but it’s a very “sticky” problem that is only “fixed” by refreshing the entire page with f5.

3 Likes

Hey there, on our discourse instance the issue is occurring as well. However, in our case, not even a refresh fixes the issue, and it persists across browsers/machines. Also, the badges are only missing from a single category (uncategorized).

Is there any way I can support in getting this fixed?

We actually rolled out a fix for this and I haven’t seen it since the fix. I think you’re reporting a different issue @theSuess, going to close this topic out.

3 Likes

We can no longer repro this issue @Meteor0id … opening cause you asked to open, but moving to #support for now till we have clear repro steps.