Change in highlighted objects

Hi,

Discourse recently changed how things are highlighted:

Instead of a highlighted, box, version:

How would I be able to change this?

Thanks.

EDIT: Many other things were also changed, Discourse just looks weird now as if the font isn’t loading properly amongst other things, how would I revert?

1 Like
3 Likes

Hey,

Thanks. This doesn’t solve much though as the font has decreased and even increasing it in some areas is weird - is there a way to skip this, turn this off or completely downgrade? It honestly looks too corporate-like and doesn’t match the community feel.

Thanks.

We can’t update Discourse and also support every previous style indefinitely, we’ve got too many settings and variations as it is.

The good news is that visual styles are fairly flexible to being changed in themes, and what you’re looking for can be achieved with some additional CSS:

:root {
  --d-nav-color--hover: var(--quaternary);
  --d-nav-bg-color--hover: var(--quaternary-low);
  --d-nav-color--active: var(--secondary);
  --d-nav-bg-color--active: var(--quaternary);
  --d-nav-border-color--active: var(--primary-medium);
  --d-nav-underline-height: 0;
}

#navigation-bar li {
  font-size: var(--font-up-1);
   a {
      padding: 6px 12px;
  }
}

That gets you the same font size and colors as the previous version:

can you provide screenshots and describe the issue a little more? perhaps there’s a separate problem to fix? generally you can not revert

2 Likes

In the past, this text used to be bigger and styled, now, it just looks plain and is there’s too much padding.

This was underlined, it didn’t have borders as your suggestion sets for it to.

Text just seems unstyled, as if the CSS hasn’t rendered. Same for category picking when creating a new post.

Do you mean the wrong font is being used? or something else? generally only the font-size changed for the topic list filters, and bolding was removed from admin dashboard nav… but other than that I don’t think any font styling was changed.

You can choose to limit the scope and only revert the style in the topic list nav if you’d like, by doing:

#navigation-bar {
  --d-nav-color--hover: var(--quaternary);
  --d-nav-bg-color--hover: var(--quaternary-low);
  --d-nav-color--active: var(--secondary);
  --d-nav-bg-color--active: var(--quaternary);
  --d-nav-border-color--active: var(--primary-medium);
  --d-nav-underline-height: 0;

li {
  font-size: var(--font-up-1);
    a {
      padding: 6px 12px;
    }
  }
}

This would get you:

and leave admin styles as they currently are:

I don’t recommend trying to customize or revert admin nav styles at the moment, as we’re in the process of making admin dashboard updates. A little more info here:

Hi,

Yes - sorry, the bolding had been removed. Ideally, the underlining should be limited to the general categories and the buttons should remain highlighted but I’ve switched to the experimental navigation sidebar as that looks a lot better so the underlining problem has been resolved kind of.

Either way, these updates don’t have that ‘playful’ and ‘community’ feel to Discourse sites, it would be amazing if there was an option to choose the appearance and each update just added itself as a variation, almost like a theme.