Clicking an internal link with slug only and no topic ID should create a history entry

For example, if you click this link:

https://meta.discourse.org/t/discourse-math-plugin

and then click Back in your browser, you get taken to the page you were at before this one.

6 Likes

We reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally should not be encouraging the construction of invalid links. So in my opinion, the bad behavior youā€™re seeing here is a kind of deserved punishment for constructing a badly-formed link :wink:

3 Likes

I hear that, the reason why it might be useful is for situations when you might want to keep the topic name/slug and link to it but cycle the actual topic.

e.g. megatopics - close/rename the old, open a new at the same slug, you donā€™t need to change things linking to it.[^1]

The case where I did this was sort of similarā€¦ but now canā€™t remember what exactly it was.

[^1]: I suppose the correct solution here is to use a permalink, but that requires admin access rather than using the naĆÆve approach as Iā€™ve done above

4 Likes

I read this post twice and Iā€™m still not following why this would be useful / necessary?

Megatopics when split should have different titles, per The MEGATOPIC: public good, or public menace?

3 Likes

right and you would

thatā€™s intended to be an ā€œandā€

of course, regardless of reason:

• is it broken?
  • if so we should fix it
3 Likes

A user suggestion form to generate review items for permalinks, for admins to one click approve, under the /go/ namespace was part of the brainstorming in Feature interest survey: "go" permalinks.

3 Likes

If it is an easy fix, sure. If it is a hard fixā€¦ no.

4 Likes

This is no longer a problem since:

2 Likes