Community Guide: Activating Lurkers

I think you may be from the same era as me, but I think you’re trying to fight a battle you’re highly likely to lose. I was taught that spelling mattered and grammar mattered and that the choice of particular words mattered. If I wrote something with spelling and grammar mistakes, or just something that the teacher thought was cr*p then I’d probably get a blackboard eraser thrown at me at high velocity.

Nowadays my teenage step-son tells me that I speak and write in ‘old people language’ and I know for sure that he talks and writes unintelligible gibberish most of the time. I discuss journalistic standards with my mid-20’s sons and decry the inability of ‘journalists’ to spell or use common grammar or write headlines that make sense without having to read them 20 times. They tell me not to worry, the people aren’t journalists, they’re digital copywriters who’s entire being exists to generate copy as quickly as possible to draw clicks from people to make their digital empire appear at the top of the click tables. Apparently using spelling or grammar checkers slows the whole process down too much.

In a world that has evolved since the fountain pen on paper, and succint and easily understandable phone calls on very expensive phone systems (if you even had a phone) that we grew up in, the subtleties of single vs double quotes and nuances about whether some words are slightly more offensive than others is long lost on many of the online population.

In summary, if it behaves like a lurker and it doesn’t write like an active participant then it’s a lurker - whatever other words you choose to represent them instead. If you call them a ‘non-active participant’, most readers will translate it in their head to read ‘lurker’ and not worry one iota about the use of the ‘L’ word.

3 Likes

I’m not sure how difficult it would be to find examples of the behavior I’m describing, but it wouldn’t be appropriate to use Meta as the source of those examples. I prefer to highlight what’s going right in this community. My sense is that the community has become more welcoming to new users over time.

3 Likes

I don’t know what things were like in the past as I only migrated my forum to Discourse in March, but I have never felt awkward when using Meta nor encountered any toxic behaviour that has put me off posting.

In contrast, I’ve found all participants friendly, encouraging and most of all very helpful to everyone. In fact what I see on Meta every day convinces me more and more that choosing to use Discourse was the right decision.

5 Likes

Of course because it is pure mission impossible to gather straight numerical metrics what coders would like to work with :wink:

But still… with hard enough experience opinions can be as good as, or even better, than hard measurements. Not too often, but sometimes.

But even here where almost everyone is ”data oriented” one way or another gamification or quantity-before-quality prizes - what TL de facto is - doesn’t increase activity. Well, you guys know very well better than I what metrics are, so I’m just guessing.

So, we have difficult aspects here. One is cultural differences (you know - why vs can you open your motives a bit more :wink: ) where small talk societes seems to write/create more than those where is wider private space. I can understand much better american forum culture than brasilian one.

Second is nature of a forum. Kind of poetry vs. support/QA. In which direction that affects… well, it depends. You can’t get any wider help here if you are just reader.

My very weak point is we all are doing here very spesific rules in very wide world. My views reflects all the time finnish mentality, of course. But is it so much different than so called global system, aka. american way? There is some differences like badges - those are pure waste of time here in northern Europe in general, but can and will work somewhere else. But those are pennies. All forums, no matter where, are struggling with too big group of lurkers and too few valuable actives.

That’s why we have this topic. Tools of higher TL, badges, chat priviledges, high value content, non-toxic environment… any of those aren’t worked good enough ever.

My opinion is we can’t change that. It comes from humanity itself, how people act. We should live with it and play that numbers game. If percent gang is (and will) creating most of content and all others are consuming that… is it actually bad thing?

And there is one quite funny, or sad, detail left. Admins. They are doing plans and solutions where lurkers will change to active ones. But admins are quite often part of those most laziest ones, master class lurkers :wink: If an admin doesn’t want to participate why should others be more keener?

1 Like

This is an important point. Meta does exceptionally well at this: https://meta.discourse.org/u?order=post_count&period=all

1 Like

(Might be worth noting that in the usual lifecycle of non-commercial forums, the founder(s) will be admin(s) but may have become inactive: there might still be active management, by other admins or by moderators, or just active longer term members.)

1 Like

One of the key impediments for Lurkers, especially in countries like India, is the language.

Due to the presence of tens of languages (if not hundreds), it is a necessity for any Indian online community to use English as the language to reach a critical mass. For any niche community, the percentage of users who are well versed in written-English is limited. Percentage of users who reads English reasonably well may be much more.

This is the situation of Lurkers. It is hard to contribute in a language they’re not good at, but it is easier to be readers. There are even site wide translation tools that help people who’re poor at reading English.

So what could be the solution? I think AI could become the Babel fish here to completely erase the language barriers.

I believe such a solution would help communities all over the world, since English is not the native language for most of the world, but Internet is mostly English due to necessity.

3 Likes

That is an excellent point @rpattabi !

It’s probably fairly similar in large parts of the world, where people are able to read English just fine (or use e.g. Google Translate), but are not able to participate to the extent that they would in their native language.

Your mention of AI is fair, and it’s something that Discourse is taking steps on :slight_smile:
But participating isn’t a seamless experience yet. For that we’d need more tight integration, not sure what that would look like.

For what it’s worth, here’s what our AI made of that AI sentence in Bengali:
আপনার কৃত্রিম বুদ্ধিমত্তা সম্পর্কে উল্লেখ ন্যায্য, এবং এটি এমন একটি বিষয় যা ডিসকোর্স কিছু পদক্ষেপ নিচ্ছে :মৃদু হাসি: কিন্তু এখনো খুব ঘনিষ্ঠভাবে একীভূত কিছু নেই।

Screenshot 2024-02-21 at 10.28.27

2 Likes

Or re-defining what critical mass means or is needed for.