Custom Docker-Discourse bootstrapping from private GIT repository

Hello all o/

I’m working on a custom theme for Discourse. Everything works well in the Vagrant VM, and it’s now time to try a “real” install.
I pulled the standard Docker image and modified the templates so the bootstrapping would pull from my fork of the discourse/discourse repo, and not the original.

Thing is, the repo I will pull from uses SSH key authentication for the all users, including git.

As expected, it fails on bootstrapping with the following message:

I, [2015-07-06T12:25:59.424104 #36]  INFO -- : > cd /var/www/discourse && git fetch custom-origin release                                                       
Host key verification failed.                                                                                                                                
fatal: Could not read from remote repository.

How can I pull from a private repo expecting a key when bootstrapping?

If the alternative is easier: this repo is hosted on the docker host machine itself. So I could also read directly from the container in the host filesystem… But I assume this is harder than SSHing in, this being a possible Docker security hole…

1 Like

Step 1

Figure out how to do that from command line

Step 2

Plug in what you type in command line into the correct hook

All hooks are named in templates

3 Likes

Thank you @sam , I went the little extra effort and started hacking a solution myself. However I’m partially stuck at setp 1.

The most logical would be to give the container an already pre-authorized SSH key. I’m trying to leverage Pups’ automatic import of environment variables as params. I saved the key in such a variable, and modified the sshd.template.yml in the following fashion:

Shell command

discourse@machine:/var/discourse$ export GIT_PRIVATE_KEY=`cat /home/discourse/.ssh/id_rsa`

sshd.template.yml (last two lines of this block are mine)

- exec:                                                                                                                                                    
      hook: sshd                                                                                                                                             
      cmd:                                                                                                                                                   
        - mkdir -p /var/run/sshd                                                                                                                             
        - mkdir -p /root/.ssh                                                                                                                                
        - echo "$ssh_key" >> /root/.ssh/authorized_keys
        - echo "$$ENV_SSH_PUB_KEY" >> /root/.ssh/authorized_keys                                                                                             
        - echo "$GIT_PRIVATE_KEY" >> /root/.ssh/id_rsa                                                                                                      
        - cat /root/.ssh/id_rsa 

However, woth syntaxes (with one or two $ did not yield the expected result.

(I know the sshd template and web ones are not called in the correct order by default for this to work :wink: But the cat command itself should produce the expected output, which it doesn’t.)

Edit - Environment variable insanity.

I realized pups is run in the container, not in the host, so this would be the container environment variable. I tried passing it through Docker args, but it fails. The variable is not properly escaped, even with the added quotes.

discourse@machine:/var/discourse$ ./launcher bootstrap app --docker-args "-e GIT_PRIVATE_KEY=$GIT_PRVATE_KEY" 
Unable to find image 'RSA:latest' locally                                                                                                                    
Invalid repository name (RSA), only [a-z0-9-_.] are allowed                                                                                                                                                                                              
cd /pups && git pull && /pups/bin/pups --stdin                                                                                                               
User args:                                                                                                                                                   
GIT_PRIVATE_KEY="-----BEGIN RSA PRIVATE KEY----- MIIEowIBAAKCAQEAuRquuVBtx06RM9/bU104PLPzxX0fHmjkIILvYyXe/h44yyMo (snip) b/njJsNjvo9zGfhomcs2QOh8Yb7jIzooHqI6ApSUOhu7e0+uZ3Lu -----END RSA PRIVATE KEY-----"                                   
Unable to find image 'RSA:latest' locally                                                                                                                    
Invalid repository name (RSA), only [a-z0-9-_.] are allowed                                                                                                  
cat: cids/app_bootstrap.cid: No such file or directory                                                                                                       
docker: "rm" requires a minimum of 1 argument.                                                                                                               
See '/usr/bin/docker rm --help'.                                                                                                                             

Usage: docker rm [OPTIONS] CONTAINER [CONTAINER...]                                                                                                          

Remove one or more containers                                                                                                                                
** FAILED TO BOOTSTRAP ** please scroll up and look for earlier error messages, there may be more than one

Edit 2 - Key apparently passed to pups.

The solution was, surprisingly, simpler, and in Docker’s manual.

discourse@machine:/var/discourse$ ./launcher bootstrap app --docker-args "-e GIT_PRIVATE_KEY" 

By not setting the variable, it defautls to the value of the same variable on the host.
It shows in pups’ logs, but authentication is still refused. I will try with a different certificate soon, but it might be mishandled whitespace problem still. If push somes to shove, I’ll lower the security to a simple passphrase.

Don’t hesitate if you have an idea.

You could use a file: directive to drop the private key file into the container.

Also, you are using a deploy (read-only) key, right?

this is what I did:

I added the ssh key to ssh-agent:

ssh-add /path/to/private/key

I forwarded the agent to the container:

./launcher rebuild app --docker-args "--volume $SSH_AUTH_SOCK:/ssh-agent --env SSH_AUTH_SOCK=/ssh-agent"

Worked like a charm.

2 Likes