Discourse Audio Message

Guys, it’s great fun to have a go at writing a plugin no-doubt and a very useful learning experience, and even more fun seeing if ChatGPT can help you write it …

… but deploying a plugin to Production and formally sharing it with the public does put the onus on you to support it going forward.

Relying on ChatGPT is all well and good as a productivity assistant but really you need to understand every line of code yourself.

I wouldn’t have a big problem with any of that if we hadn’t already had a Theme Component covering this functional space (albeit not currently functioning correctly)

Deploying a plugin to take its place is a step backwards as you would always want to deploy something as a Theme Component if at all possible so that it can be used more widely by more kinds of installs, are less invasive, and much quicker to deploy and remove.

You need to have a very good reason to revert to using a Plugin (and that reason may exist but would be good to elaborate on and justify).

I still think as a community we should aim to maintain existing assets when they break rather than creating new ones (unless of course, like the Guest Gate Component, there’s a chance to create a Theme Component instead, which would be a worthwhile improvement)

To that end efforts would have been better directed at PRing to imho:

I suspect the main reason that no longer works is because the original maintainer is too busy on other projects, but there is nothing stopping anyone contributing to the repo to fix it, has anyone tried?

There’s a limit to the amount of time members of Pavilion can devote to the numerous public contributions we’ve made over the years and the community really needs to pick up some of the load.

/rant over

3 Likes