Discourse Comments stuck on "Loading..."

Hi, I’m posting an update to this, as some things have changed my investigation into this issue. The issue persists since updating to 3.0.4; all newly created articles are having issues displaying the embedded Discourse code. All articles created prior to this update have no issue, so it is not an IP address block that’s causing this.

It looks like Discourse in the most recent version has changed the logic of how posts are automatically created by the embed code, so now the new code requires the canonical URL. See the topic previously linked:

However, this fully breaks the embed functionality on sites like mine. I was previously using the Node ID in Drupal to embed, seen in the code below:

discourseEmbedUrl = "http://sitename.com/node/' . $nid . '";

This new Discourse code requires the canonical URL to be used instead, which results in duplicate topics being created if someone simply renames the article title. That’s the reason I was using Node ID, because it does not change.

Would it be possible to have this new canonical URL be optional? I tried changing my embed code to use it, but the Loading issue came back for all posts created using the old embed code.

So right now, with the new Discourse code running on my Production site, I’m stuck with either of these two options:

• Newly created articles on Drupal show “Loading…” but never load the Comments embed block; old articles created before Discourse 3.0.4 load fine

Or,

• Newly created articles on Drupal load the Comments embed block just fine, but all old articles created before Discourse 3.0.4 show “Loading…” but never load the Comments embed block

Is there a way to make this new feature optional? Having to choose between either of these options puts me in sort of a lose-lose situation.

2 Likes