Discourse-custom-app-banner

If you have a custom Discourse app or maybe an app for your company, you might want to show a custom app banner to your users. Discourse only has the ability to refer people to the Discourse app using the Other → native app install banner site setting, like this one:

afbeelding

The discourse-custom-app-banner allows you to configure your own iTunes / Android apps and show a banner for those instead.

The plugin can be found at https://github.com/communiteq/discourse-custom-app-banner

This plugin was developed for RZIM Connect and @outofthebox was so kind to allow us to open source it.

9 Likes

Richard, I’m grateful for your professionalism, speed, and expertise on the Discourse platform.

This plugin provides our members with a better experience. Thank you!

I’m also grateful that you wanted to share this plugin with the Discourse community, which speaks to your character and loyalty. I am very happy to be able, through your hard work, to contribute a tiny bit back to this outstanding product and community.

3 Likes

I think it’s very reasonable to merge this functionality into core.

Two hidden site settings, that allow you to input android_app_id and ios_app_id and default to the current values.

I thought about doing this way, but back then there was just one Discourse app :wink:

9 Likes

Agreed, this is totally fine to merge in. We do not want to forcefully tie people to the one app, that’s not intentional.

7 Likes

Just a quick howto for people trying to use this plugin. The functionality is now in core.
There are two hidden site settings: ios_app_id and android_app_id.

In order to set these, open a rails console and enter

SiteSetting.ios_app_id = XXX
SiteSetting.android_app_id = YYY

where XXX and YYY are the respective app ID’s.

Then you can enable the native_app_install_banner_ios and native_app_install_banner_android settings from within the Admin - Settings screen.

3 Likes