Discourse for Teams is here!

Is there an Onpremise or european GDPR* ok solution

*Regarding the standard clauses, we do not have the opportunity to assess in detail legislation in every third country, but in the case of the United States, we are leaning towards the reasons for the judgment in Schrems II. The reasons for the ruling mean that the possibility of using an American personal data assistant, regardless of the contractual stage, is currently virtually non-existent. So AWS, GCP, Azure etc is not GDPR complient

4 Likes

There is no on-premise solution for Teams, it is solely hosted. We do offer Teams hosting in our EU datacenter in Dublin, Ireland. We are able to sign a DPA (with SCCs) with customers upon request, and maintain DPAs with all our third-party services, detailed at Privacy policy | Discourse - Civilized Discussion. We do use AWS S3 for uploads, so if you are not able to use anything AWS Teams is likely not going to work for you.

11 Likes

Any chance of getting the translate integration added?

2 Likes

You can use the Translation plugin now if you opt for an Enterprise plan.

If you’d like more details of what that plan entails, email us at team@discourse.org

Note: You’d need to pay either Google or Microsoft API costs as well.

5 Likes

Is there any chance you’d have a Slack migration tool? That may make it easier to switch.

3 Likes

We don’t have a Slack migration tool, but we do have the Chatroom Integration Plugin (discourse-chat-integration). A team wouldn’t have to fully migrate off of Slack to start with. We use chat here at Discourse and tend to think of it as short-term, ephemeral conversation, where anything long-term or permanent goes to Discourse.

6 Likes

How do you envision such tool?

Creating a category and group in Discourse for each Slack channel?

6 Likes

That’s a very good question.

So then:

• Public channels will need to be created as public topics under a category called Slack import

• Private channels as private topics under same category or maybe another slack private category.

The “members” of each channel would need to either be mapped or created somehow. That’s probably best done by email address for example.

There is meta data for each channel that can be reused.

• pinned conversations should be prioritized somehow not sure how

• The issue is really the noisy thread/threadless chaos that happens in slack channels. Maybe just simply convert each post into a message and then threads become threads. Let admin clean up afterward?

Just a few ideas and concept.

The issue I have with slack is that the discourse degrades very quickly. I think a lot of that has to do with the fact it is all private. If people know that some content could be converted to a public forum they would behave.

Maybe.

Or at least what is interesting is that threads could be converted and managed better. They could even be converted to permanent Knowledge. Slack is an absolute mess. But it works because it is fast, mobile and very much chat oriented so people know it.

4 Likes

Channels in Slack are more akin to Discourse categories. And each Slack thread/conversation would become a topic in the category equivalent to the channel it would be if it was in Slack.

Importing public channels into public categories, and private channels into private categories + groups is all fine in my book.

But importing the conversation content is another story. I would recommend starting anew in Discourse, as chat messages are short and ephemeral, while conversation in Discourse is longer and structured in paragraphs.

5 Likes

I don’t necessarily agree. I started writing it your way but the more I thought about it, a Slack channel is really a topic not a category in my mind. That’s just me. In fact some people may want to do it your way. It depends doesn’t it? Probably should provide an option.

1 Like

Feel free to spin up a Discourse for Teams trial and enable the slack integration, then see what you can do to save transcripts of valuable conversations in discourse. Transcripts are all saved in a single post.

You can create an invite link and post it to your slack to ease the transition. Ideally you’d then set a deadline for new conversations to start happening on Teams and close the channels on slack except for ephemeral contact, as Rafael and Justin are saying.

Note there is nothing public in Teams - if you need public discussions you will want to look at Discourse, not Discourse for Teams. There are also other differences. See Comparing Discourse for Teams with Discourse.

8 Likes

That’s a clever way to move people on free level of Slack over to Discourse for Teams! Archive slack conversations and fall in love with Discourse for Teams. Well done.

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Fig - Native Discourse client for iOS

As a general rule: move away from a platform as soon as Salesforce, Oracle or IBM buys it.

9 Likes

Discourse for teams is a great idea and from what I can see from the website the implementation is at least as great as the idea.

I totally get the move to go commercial only with this but I really hope that there will be some kind of open source implementation. I am in a ton of Slack channels that can’t afford a paid solution and all the open source alternatives to slack aren’t really as good and easy to force them to move over.

I haven’t been very active here lately but I find it interesting that I only got to know about Discourse for teams today - months after it started, even though this is something I am highly interested in.

6 Likes

Servus, Helmi! Great to see you are interested in Discourse for Teams. It’s still a fairly new product so I’m not surprised you didn’t find out about it if you haven’t been hanging out actively here on meta or following us on twitter!

Discourse for Teams is a hosted product built with Discourse. If you wanted to set up your own self-hosted Discourse and invite your slack communities over, you’re welcome to do that - Discourse is open source and is very configurable. But of course you have hosting costs and the effort of customizing and running it for all those comunities.

The advantage of Discourse for Teams is that it is quick and easy to spin up a site and get your team invited and collaborating. We also intentionally priced it so it is affordable for small teams. So you could conceivably talk with your slack channels about moving to Teams.

Feel free to spin up a free trial, and PM me if you want to brainstorm about specifics for moving your slack communities over. In case you missed it, you might like to take a look at Comparing Discourse for Teams with Discourse to learn more.

7 Likes

Danke, Tobias. Grüße aus dem Nachbarlandkreis :wink:

Appreciate the quick response. I’m totally aware of costs on self hosted instances and I agree that the pricing is fair for small teams. Unfortunately teams are often bigger (and still don’t have the money) which drives costs apart quite quickly between self hosted but open source and hosted and on a per user base.

But I really didn’t want to opt against the pricing model. It’s totally fair and I think you’ll be having some good success with it. I was always missing something that is as accesible as Slack or Discord but more organized and structured - this could be the right approach.

I will definitely give it a check at some point in the future. :ok_hand:

6 Likes

Yeah free, is, as they say… “a hell of a drug”. Of course free is a relative term, because…

We definitely want to reach price points that are fair and enable everyone to get the tools they need and enable us to run a sustainable business :hugs:

15 Likes

HI, has discourse teams the same capabilities as “stock” discourse has, and “just” adding a Teams perspective and tools on it? or is this separate, or can it collaborate with a stock Discourse? It the Teams API the same as the Stock discourse? can a integration i.e. fibery.io integrate with Discourse Teams as it can with Stock discourse?

many thanks

2 Likes

Hello Holger! Discourse for Teams is built using discourse and operates much the same way. The API is the same, and the same integrations will work. There are some differences though, which are explained in the following support article for details. Do spin up a free trial to experience it for yourself, and feel free to contact us at support@teams.discourse.com with any questions or feedback relating to your specific use case.

2 Likes