Discourse for Teams is here!

Originally published at: Discourse for Teams is here!

Today we launch Discourse for Teams. Teams is affordably priced, privacy-focused, and comes pre-configured with special tools for teamwork, productivity and internal discussions — all specifically designed for teams that either already work remotely, or are adopting remote work. Visit teams.discourse.com to find out more and to spin up a 30-day free trial. It’s quick…

55 Likes

This feature looks really nice. Is it available as a plugin for self hosted instances?

12 Likes

Hi Chris! Yes, the sidebar is pretty sweet! It is special to Discourse for Teams and is not available as open source.

For the benefit of the meta community, I created a topic to explain the differences between Discourse for Teams and Discourse.

15 Likes

Can’t begrudge yall for making revenue so you’re able to continue supporting Discourse. Looking at the screenshot above, I already like it better than Slack!

Thanks for your work,
TorqueWrench

11 Likes

Ditto @TorqueWrench’s comment - I wish you the best with DfT :+1:

11 Likes

This sidebar is extraordinary, hope someone can recreate it as a plugin for us, common mortals. :sweat_smile:

10 Likes

Overall thoughts about Discourse Teams:

• I ABSOLUTELY LOVE the new animations, prompts for categories, wizards, etc, I hope you migrate these little changes into the official Discourse.
  • Although you can’t install plugins many official plugins have been added which is awesome.
  • Cheap! Great for teams and might be the next flagship product for Discourse.

- Maybe make some stickers and ship them out? :wink:

But anyways, great product.

10 Likes

This is great, thanks, I’ll definitely be signing up for this sometime down the road.

Just one question: does the Discourse Hub iOS app work with Teams, and if not, will it in the future?

4 Likes

Yes, DiscourseHub supports Discourse for Teams instances already.

8 Likes

Is there an Onpremise or european GDPR* ok solution

*Regarding the standard clauses, we do not have the opportunity to assess in detail legislation in every third country, but in the case of the United States, we are leaning towards the reasons for the judgment in Schrems II. The reasons for the ruling mean that the possibility of using an American personal data assistant, regardless of the contractual stage, is currently virtually non-existent. So AWS, GCP, Azure etc is not GDPR complient

3 Likes

There is no on-premise solution for Teams, it is solely hosted. We do offer Teams hosting in our EU datacenter in Dublin, Ireland. We are able to sign a DPA (with SCCs) with customers upon request, and maintain DPAs with all our third-party services, detailed at Privacy policy | Discourse - Civilized Discussion. We do use AWS S3 for uploads, so if you are not able to use anything AWS Teams is likely not going to work for you.

11 Likes

Any chance of getting the translate integration added?

2 Likes

You can use the Translation plugin now if you opt for an Enterprise plan.

If you’d like more details of what that plan entails, email us at team@discourse.org

Note: You’d need to pay either Google or Microsoft API costs as well.

5 Likes

Is there any chance you’d have a Slack migration tool? That may make it easier to switch.

3 Likes

We don’t have a Slack migration tool, but we do have the Chatroom Integration Plugin (discourse-chat-integration). A team wouldn’t have to fully migrate off of Slack to start with. We use chat here at Discourse and tend to think of it as short-term, ephemeral conversation, where anything long-term or permanent goes to Discourse.

6 Likes

How do you envision such tool?

Creating a category and group in Discourse for each Slack channel?

7 Likes

That’s a very good question.

So then:

• Public channels will need to be created as public topics under a category called Slack import

• Private channels as private topics under same category or maybe another slack private category.

The “members” of each channel would need to either be mapped or created somehow. That’s probably best done by email address for example.

There is meta data for each channel that can be reused.

• pinned conversations should be prioritized somehow not sure how

• The issue is really the noisy thread/threadless chaos that happens in slack channels. Maybe just simply convert each post into a message and then threads become threads. Let admin clean up afterward?

Just a few ideas and concept.

The issue I have with slack is that the discourse degrades very quickly. I think a lot of that has to do with the fact it is all private. If people know that some content could be converted to a public forum they would behave.

Maybe.

Or at least what is interesting is that threads could be converted and managed better. They could even be converted to permanent Knowledge. Slack is an absolute mess. But it works because it is fast, mobile and very much chat oriented so people know it.

4 Likes

Channels in Slack are more akin to Discourse categories. And each Slack thread/conversation would become a topic in the category equivalent to the channel it would be if it was in Slack.

Importing public channels into public categories, and private channels into private categories + groups is all fine in my book.

But importing the conversation content is another story. I would recommend starting anew in Discourse, as chat messages are short and ephemeral, while conversation in Discourse is longer and structured in paragraphs.

5 Likes

I don’t necessarily agree. I started writing it your way but the more I thought about it, a Slack channel is really a topic not a category in my mind. That’s just me. In fact some people may want to do it your way. It depends doesn’t it? Probably should provide an option.

1 Like

Feel free to spin up a Discourse for Teams trial and enable the slack integration, then see what you can do to save transcripts of valuable conversations in discourse. Transcripts are all saved in a single post.

You can create an invite link and post it to your slack to ease the transition. Ideally you’d then set a deadline for new conversations to start happening on Teams and close the channels on slack except for ephemeral contact, as Rafael and Justin are saying.

Note there is nothing public in Teams - if you need public discussions you will want to look at Discourse, not Discourse for Teams. There are also other differences. See Comparing Discourse for Teams with Discourse.

8 Likes