Discourse Gifs

It’s 120 USD per month :frowning:
Switched to Tenor.

1 Like

They used confusing wording to be fair:

1 Like

Thank you for the extension, it’s really useful! Any chance that the tenor option is extended with .mp4 since they have it on their side? Giphy has lightweight webp, but I think that Google is lesser evil than facebook so we use tenor.

1 Like

That’s how the it worked originally, but iOS browser is sooooo buggy, and had sp many issues around the rapid creation of multiple media elements that I gave up.

I’ve emailed Tenor to check if they plan on supporting a more modern format, either webp or avif, but they didn’t share any plans around it.

6 Likes

Thank you very much for an explanation - I hope they do as we often see a boring link due to the weight of a given gif (and I agree with this solution as it’s awesome for people on metered connection who can choose if they want to click - and at the same time it doesn’t deprives us of potential for nicer looking stuff).

1 Like

Looks good! Quick question. How does the plugin store the gifs? Does it download them into the site and then saved to the backup? Or does it simply link to the original gif on another site?

If it stores locally, does it reuse already saved gifs?

For example,
If bob uses “take my money gif” (gif id 1234) and that’s stored locally, then the next day jill uses the same “take my money gif” in her post (gif id 1234) does it redownload and add to the forum storage so there are now two copies or can it reuse the gif that bob downloaded since it is the same?

1 Like

Depending on the download remote images to local setting, the GIF might be saved locally.
The same GIF won’t be saved twice; it’s reused, yes.

3 Likes

I’m not sure if this is a gif plugin issue or a chat issue, but when attempting to reply to a chat entry with a gif, the quote is lost and the gif is posted in the chat without context. To reproduce:

1. Select a previous chat entry and click the Reply button.
  2. The quoted chat entry is now above the chat text entry and focus changes to the chat text entry.
  3. Click the plus icon and select Search Gif.
  4. Search for a gif, and click on one to insert.
  5. The gif is immediately inserted into the chat without the reply reference and the quoted chat entry remains attached to the chat text entry.
1 Like

I can reproduce it as well :+1:

EDIT: I did not think much before, but this is more of a UX issue and feature request. By design, the GIF is posted directly. It would be nice if the GIF were “attached” as a file instead in this context.

2 Likes