Discourse Math Editor - user friendly equations!

Discourse Math Editor is a plugin to enter math equations into Discourse in a more user friendly way. This editor helps you to create LaTeX. Please read on wikipedia about it if you dont know what it is: wikipedia
For more documentation on all the LateX commands that you can use please have a look here: mathlive docs
And please watch the video:

Installation

Follow Install a Plugin
how-to from the official Discourse Meta, using git clone https://github.com/spirobel/discourse-matheditor.git
as the plugin command.
You also need to use the official math plugin together with this:
offical math plugin
I recommend using KateX instead of MathJax, its way faster (at least for me).

Thaaaats it

22 Likes

Wonderful news. Thank you.

Can math editor icon change location?

1 Like

We can add output to plugin or not.

1 Like

thanks for the suggestion, it makes sense. I will have a look at it!

do you mean the graph below the box like in the mathlive docs? I think its a good idea, but probably better handled in a different plugin. What do you think about this plugin:

Does it fit your use case?

1 Like

Yes i mean. Graphviz plugin I’m not sure whether it can display mathematical images or not.

2 Likes

I think from using inspect element on mathlive.io that he is using Plotly JavaScript Graphing Library | JavaScript | Plotly if there is a need for other plotting libraries maybe we can use the graphiz plugin as a starting point and integrate them in a similar way.

2 Likes

I’m not a math person and working with languages, I’m interested, is it possible to create a plugin with google virtual keyboard?

https://www.google.com/intl/en/inputtools/try/

1 Like

by the way, I found some posts here that people living in other countries can’t type in their native language, because they don’t have a local keyboard with PC or laptop. Of course they can use online keyboards, but it’s smth like a ‘wooden wheel’ in a new auto .

1 Like

This is actually something I am interested in as well. I am learning how to create discourse plugins because I want to create a collaborative mandarin dictionary. Its quite a big project, so I am creating these smaller plugins first that have similar features so I can experiment on how to implement the whole thing. We can not use the google virtual keyboard, because it seems like its not an open source library. But a quick google search shows that there are open source virtual keyboard solutions: for example I just came across this one: Virtual Keyboard
I think the big downside of these keyboards is that the typing is very slow. So usually if I want to type in a different language I install something like unikey for vietnamese for example or sunpinyin for mandarin. I expect that most of my users will be able to type in their language so I am not planning to add a virtual keyboard. But I also want to have a way to input pinyin and zhuyin with tones. I still havent figured what to do about this. Which languages are you working with?

2 Likes

This is very beautiful!
Can this be done? Will it cost much hardware resource?

@spirobel I just installed your plugin and now I’m getting this error. Any chance you will be updating your awesome plugin?

Error: the 'matheditor-modal' modal needs updating to work with the latest version of Discourse. See https://meta.discourse.org/t/268057.