Discourse-no-bump: prevent users from bumping topics

(Robin Ward) #1

Here’s a new plugin that might be useful if you are running a large community:

discourse-no-bump

This plugin prevents users from bumping their own topics. On some higher traffic forums, if a user doesn’t receive replies to their topic they will reply to themselves (bumping) repeatedly to gain visibility.

• When enabled, a user will need to wait for a different user to reply to their topic before they can reply again.

• Staff members can always bump their own topics

Settings

• no bump enabled - set to true to enable the plugin

• no bump trust level - users at this trust level (and lower) will not be allowed to bump their topics

No-bump for admin edits on first and only post in a topic
Ordering topics
(Jay Pfaffman) #2

This seems like a great idea, but then I wondered if people couldn’t bump their topic by replying their reaction would be to start re-posting a slightly re-written version of the same message that no one cared about in the first place. :expressionless:

(Robin Ward) #3

You can’t fully stop bad behavior, you can just try to discourage it, and hope our other rate limits also help out that situation.

This is great for newbies (TL1, and TL0)!

PR with spanish translation sent :wink: :es:

(Mittineague) #5

I’m interested in how the “prevent” works. True, often a bump is a bump, but other times the bump is a legitimate update.

I think a type of “flag - temporarily hidden” might be better than an indiscriminate “not possible”.

Without my testing this plugin, what does the bumpee see?

(Robin Ward) #6

In this case prevent means “An error message pops up and your post doesn’t go through.”

(Jeff Atwood) #7

I would support this as a site setting rather than an external plugin, personally!

(Kane York) #8

A progressive time limit - one hour for the first extra reply, a day for the second, never the third - might help out when someone legitimately needs multiple posts.

(Evgeny) #9

Thanks, this is a good plugin!
I tested it, but I think need to transfer this text to a language file.

if last_post_user_id == record.user_id
    record.errors[:base] << "Can't bump that"
  end

Addition.
The plugin does not allow you to edit the body of the theme even to the administrator. The Title can be changed.

(Robin Ward) #10

Thanks for the QA! I’ve fixed those two issues.

(Felix Freiberger) #11

Doesn’t editing the last post in a topic also cause a bump?

(Jeff Atwood) #12

Yes, it does. Editing the last post will bump, so make sure that case is covered too @eviltrout.

(James Mc Mahon) #13

Could the scope include surpressing a bump for a topic when a tag is added?

(Jeff Atwood) #14

I think this is only about replies not editing, though editing last post is another way to bump, so we’ll have to see what @eviltrout thinks.

As usual @souperc your comments only apply if there is only a single post in the whole topic, which is a pretty boring topic :wink:

(James Mc Mahon) #15

It may also be a valuable one though. :sunny:

(Robin Ward) #16

The above commit fixes the issues where users could bump their topics via editing them.

(Jonathon) #17

Could a setting for that be added to allow some granularity? I could see people editing a post to provide further information being a good cause of a bump.

Thank you for this. I have the self-inflicted fortune / misfortune of running a political forum and we get a lot of bump threads and slide threads when one group is trying to drown out another. I will give this a go today.

(Joe Taber) #19

I wonder if a better approach would be to allow them to add as many replies as they want, but only their first in a string of consecutive replies counts as “new content” for the purpose of ordering, and notify them while they’re composing: “btw, this reply won’t bump the topic”. Then you could add in an exponential-backoff bump reset timer like @riking mentioned.

I feel like this would be a much better user experience than just outright denying them the ability to reply. And especially more user friendly for help forums where someone might legitimately have new information to add.

(Alex Armstrong) #20

I think bumping a topic is a legitimate practice. It can be abused, but so can most things. I wouldn’t implement this on my site, but I’m concerned with what might get implemented here on Meta.

I’ve sometimes replied to my own posts or topics here. I do this when there’s more information to add. I’ve sometimes bumped a topic when I feel it might have fallen through the cracks. I develop the technical side of my forum in cycles so there are often months between my bumps. I don’t think this is particularly obnoxious.

I’ve seen a feature request or bug report receive traction from the team months after I (or someone else) bumps their original post/topic, either with additional info or just a good natured: “Hey folks, I’m still facing this challenge. What’s up? How are other people working with this, etc.”