Discourse-teambuild: Run your own team building activity!

You might have seen on twitter that Discourse ran a scavenger hunt at our yearly meetup (this time in Montreal.)

A few people expressed an interest in using our plugin at their own organisation, so I’m happy to reveal that today we’ve open sourced it:

Use Cases

• If you want to run a scavenger hunt with a group on your forum
  • If you love checklists and just can’t get enough of them
  • You are Discourse and need this again next year!

For more information, please see the Readme - it includes instructions about how to set up and use this plugin for your uses. As always, feedback is appreciated, thanks!

55 Likes

A fantastic plugin and idea! Works great so far, thank you!

8 Likes

I’ll just leave this here…

36 Likes

Where’s the pic with the :gift:?

7 Likes

8 Likes

The last time our team did teambuilding activities, we had ribbons (yeah, like many of you got when you were younger for sports or science fairs) for the winner(s) and participants.

It would be interesting if someone wanted to build in badge support for winning/completeing/participating in an exercise. :trophy:

3 Likes

Well one easy way is to use the new Bulk Award tool once your activity is finished!

4 Likes

Thanks for this. Adding this to an install I’m running and would love to be able to add links for each target. So “Watched instructional video X” could link to that topic. Or “Posted in the Introduce Yourself category” could include a link to that category.

Not as important, but adding links in the teambuild description setting would also be handy.

1 Like

Links are not currently possible in the teambuild description site setting, but they are in the target if you use HTML:

4 Likes

:man_facepalming:

I’ve become so spoiled by markdown!

Thanks!

6 Likes

If you omit the teambuild access group setting, does that give access to the whole forum?

I’m not sure if I tested that situation. The feature is meant to be accessed by one group.

3 Likes

Understood. We use discourse for a club forum so it’s not like it’s 100’s of people. I suppose we could just add all forum members to a group as a workaround.

I haven’t tried using it this way in practice, but I think you should be able to use the trust_level_0 group since that’s all logged-in users.

3 Likes

This is my new favourite plugin.

I feel it needs a visual proof feature for a “remote” exercise to work though. I want to see video of people eating junk food from 4 different continents. Show me the receipts!

6 Likes

We discussed that internally, but it seemed like it would be a crazy amount of content! I’d suggest making side topics for image posts.

4 Likes