DiscourseConnect and user time zone / location

Thanks Angus! And no worries on the delay.

Sorry for the confusion! Yes, local time zone, and yes, the standard Discourse behavior is great. As you’re pointing out, it’s not Discourse that’s the issue, it’s WP that doesn’t have the ability to let users see the site in their local timezone. This is what we want to add. If we let the user set their time zone, then I figured we should also have that setting override Discourse’s setting so that they’re in sync. This is what I wanted to know if DiscourseConnect provides. It sounds like it does not.

What I didn’t realize is that the Discourse setting is automatic. If that’s the case, we might just leave it the way it is. i.e. Implement local time zone in WP, and not have that value override the Discourse value. Yes, they could get out of sync, but that might not really be an issue for most users.

Perfect, this is the missing piece of information — I didn’t know where DiscourseConnect was supposed to be getting location data from on the WP side. We implemented our own location field manually, in usermeta, so we can just pull the value from there using the wpdc_sso_params hook.

I’m dense, so I probably overlooked it. Is their documentation for wpdc_sso_params anywhere? I found this thread, which seems to cover it for now:

2 Likes