Displaying comments embed as a link without using the WP plugin

Hello everyone,

I am working on integrating the Discourse commenting embed with functionalities similar to BoinBoing,
where the integration acts as a link and takes users to the related topic.

Here is the screenshot of boing boing’s implementation.

Screen Shot 2019-09-30 at 12.09.54 PM

To my understanding, this feature is possible by setting the commenting options in WP Discourse plugin.

I was wondering if it would be possible to implement this feature for other CMS’s such as ghost.

Thank you.

Sure, this is possible. Take a look at

You can see it in action on @codinghorror’s own blog at https://blog.codinghorror.com/.

1 Like

Thank you for the reply.

That is a good example; However, it creates a topic the first time a post is visited and the embed script is ran.

That results is a flood of topics with no comments.

I am looking for a link like implementation where a topic is created only when that “link” is clicked for the first time.

1 Like

Good point. I don’t know how to do that, though I suppose you could adapt the embed code to only fire when someone clicks a link. I had a scan through that topic and I don’t think anyone has asked about the challenge you describe.

I’ve thought about this as well, for my site which is on wordpress and uses the wp-discourse wordpress plugin. We have a resource library with thousands of posts, one per resource. We’d like to be able to allow members to start topics in the forum about resources without having to create thousands of topics in advance. So a link to select to start the topic and add the first reply would be great!

1 Like