Displaying user card on hover

I searched throughout the forum for a few hours and wasn’t able to find anything specifically on this topic (though it was mentioned in some threads about user cards as a suggestion.)

I understand that many are opposed to this but for some contexts in forums this makes a lot of sense - currently working on a custom theme and wondering if there’s a simple way to show user cards on hover rather than on click:

12%20AM

Is there any reason to believe that this will hinder performance or stress the backend in any way? If upon scrolling and these cards are pre-loaded it could send a lot of requests on the backend?

Just wondering how best to achieve this without affecting speed and overall performance of the site.

3 Likes

Hover doesn’t work on any touch devices, so it generally should be avoided as a primary UX mechanism.

It’s also kind of irritating when stuff starts popping all around your mouse cursor as you move it.

8 Likes

Could it work if it was exclusive to desktops?

Personally, I’d be interested in seeing this materialize. I might be able to chip in some money in order to request this as a #theme-component or a #plugin.

1 Like

Does it matter greatly if hover doesn’t work on mobile? This is the kind of functionality that you could like on a desktop, but I personally would not expect to have on a mobile (user cards in general I mean).

I’m susceptible to the argument of annoying popups, which is certainly not something I like, but in this case, I might make an exception.

Cheers

1 Like