Does a social login WP plugin address Discourse expectation for email verification? (with WP as SSO provider)

Continuing the discussion from WP Discourse plugin installation and setup:

I’ve been looking at using a social login plugin for my WP site and was wondering if Discourse will recognized that user based on their social login?

Is there a recommended social login plugin for WP that would satisfy the requirement of Discourse to pass the user info over to Discourse, when using SSO and WP as the provider?

Regarding the statement below, which plugin is being referred to?

The plugin has a couple of filters that can be used to override this behaviour. Take a look at the code, starting here , for details.

The social login plugin will create a regular WordPress user, so there shouldn’t be a problem having Discourse recognize the user. Where you may run into problems is with having the wp-discourse plugin recognize that the user’s email address has been verified by the social login provider. Will you have other login methods available on your WordPress site, or will it be limited to logging in with a social login plugin?

This is referring to the WP Discourse plugin. For details about disabling the Discourse activation email with the WP Discourse plugin, see this topic: How to Deactivate the Discourse Activation Email

2 Likes

Thanks Simon!

Will you have other login methods available on your WordPress site, or will it be limited to logging in with a social login plugin?

I was planning to let users register/login via email address or social logins.

If you are using the default WordPress registration for users who register via email, users who register in that way will have their email address marked as verified by WP Discourse. Ideally it would be possible to determine which users had registered via social login and which users had registered via standard WordPress registration.

Have you decided on a social login plugin? If so, let me know what it is. If it’s a free plugin I’ll take a look at it and see if I have any ideas for a good way to approach this.

2 Likes