Sometimes, our messages are way too long. For example, a first message in the contest topic where the rules are explained, examples and advices are given.
Still, we promote “less but longer messages” in our forum, otherwise it may become a mess when a topic is summarized. So, we have to follow our own rules and post long messages as well!
We divide messages into sections with using a horizontal line separator:
… or just
The proposition is to allow editing every section separately.
A section is a piece of topic message divided by any of the following:
- a horizontal line separator
- H1 tag (text prefixed with
- H2 tag (text prefixed with
The number of edits saved in the database might increase. However, such edits will be more atomic, and anyway they’re cheap, thus not sure if it’s a drawback or not.
- easier to edit
- less to scroll in the message editor
- better, smaller atomic edits (aka commits in git - better to commit smaller changes and more often)
No other changes needed - “edit” history viewer needs no changes.