Elections Plugin

(Roland) #7

Im using this on my site now. Seems to be a great addon.

(Tobias Eigen) #8

You might want to be careful with this on a live site as this is a new, in progress plugin. :wink:

(Angus McLeod) #9

How about, as first step to better supporting your process, I:

1. Make self nomination an optional feature of each election, toggled in the ‘create election’ modal.

2. Add a button, visible to ‘election admins’ only (i.e. admins if elections_admin_moderator setting is off; admins + mods if it is on), that reads “Add Nominee” and which opens a modal that allows the election admin to select from a list of users and then add them as a nominee?

Then you could handle any screening processes for nominees as you see fit. Does that work?

re the sandbox server, I’m waiting on a new domain; will try to get it up tomorrow (Friday) or this weekend.

Is it possible to have the same election choose multiple people, or nominate other people (e.g. a group, i.e. all trust level 3 members)? We are choosing 5 leaders in our election that is done with the poll system

(Tobias Eigen) #11

I :heart_eyes_cat: this very much! I don’t want to give too much more feedback before actually seeing the thing, but what about adding a spot for the pitch for each candidate within the poll?

(Angus McLeod) #12

Ok, I’ve created a new sandbox. Currently it has this plugin, Quick Messages and Question Answer on it.

Here’s an example election.

@tobiaseigen @Silvanus I can make you mods on the sandbox if you want to see the election admin features.

I haven’t added the features we’ve discussed yet (but you won’t see them if you’re not an election admin anyway), i.e.

• Free text entry in the new election modal
  • Self nomination toggle
  • Add nominee button

After reading the linked topic, I still don’t entirely understand what your process is. But the simple answer to your question is that you can edit the poll in the first post of the election topic like you can any other poll.

I should clarify that the point of this plugin is to provide additional tools and UI elements specific to elections on top of what the Polls plugin provides. I don’t want to restrict the Polls plugin in any way. That would be counter-productive.

In addition to the features mentioned above, something else I’m curious about is how you are thinking about election ‘discovery’. Currently there is a list that is added to the discovery UI. You’ll see it when you go to the elections category in my sandbox.

Actually, if you are already running elections using topic based polls could you link them here? Seeing a real live example will help me (and others).

(Tobias Eigen) #13

ok - cool. I’m in. Feel free to give me election admin privs so I can see how that works.

(Angus McLeod) #14

I just pushed the Free text entry in the new election modal and deployed that to the sandbox.

Currently the text you enter in that box is initially added to the election post and also saved to a TopicCustomField. It’s stays appended to the post during the nominate period.

When the election actually starts and the post turns into a poll, I haven’t appended the free text message, based on the use case of using free text to describe the nominating process, which would distract at the time the poll is actually held. But this is just what occurred to me at the time and it’s easy to change. Let me know your thoughts on this.

I’ve made you a moderator.

(Angus McLeod) #15

I’ve added

Self nomination control toggle (for election admins)

Nominee management (for election admins)
Screenshot at Aug 25 17-11-33

Live on the sandbox (I can make you mod if you want to try it out).

(Tobias Eigen) #16

I tried this out on your sandbox and it’s looking good! I will keep thinking about it, and show it to my colleagues who want to run elections on our site.

One minor bug I noticed - if I select MANAGE NOMINATIONS and add myself as a nominee, and then select NOMINATE MYSELF I am able to add myself again. Oops. The nomination popup also has an issue with displaying the category name which I am guessing you are already aware of.

Would it be possible for you to add the ability for nominees to provide a short elevator pitch for why they should be chosen. It could be a small text box allowing a limited number of characters (say 200?). The pitch would then be displayed by their name in the poll, like in the example below.

Also, would be nice if the name were an @ mention, so voters could click to see the user card instead of clicking away during the election. Generally speaking, I think the less clicking away the better.

• @tobiaseigen - I have been wanting to be the grand poobah my whole life and would throw my whole life into it. My former experience as pooh bear and paddington make my an ideal fit far superior to all others.
  • Angus Young - As AC/DC lead rocker, I am already a grand poobah. Vote for me to add another feather to my cap.
  • Jimmy Cliff - The harder they come, as they say, and poobah’s are as hard as they come. Vote for me so I am the first Jamaican grand poobah!

0 voters

(Angus McLeod) #17

:+1: bugs fixed.

Yes, I was thinking along similar lines :+1:

Just pushed these updates:

Nominees are listed with avatar, username and excerpt of their statement (if they’ve composed one). Clicking the avatar or the @mentioned username opens a user card.

Once nominated a nominee sees an ‘Add Statement’ button on the election post. Clicking that button opens a composer (with a ‘Nomination Statement’ label). The nominee composes and posts as normal.

22 PM

Once they’ve posted, the election post (i.e. the first post in the topic) automatically updates with a linked excerpt to their statement.

The length of the post excerpt is currently set at 100, but that can easily be made a setting.

Nominees get a little ‘nominated’ badge next to their name.

51 PM

Removing a nominee removes them from the nominated list in the election post and removes their ‘nominated’ label but doesn’t remove their ‘statement’ post (if they’ve made one). If the nominee is re-added in the future their statement post will automatically be … reinstated (i.e. they won’t have to re-compose / link it if they are incorrectly removed).

Next step is to add the same details (avatar, @mention and link to statement) to the poll itself (currently only the nominee list looks like the above).

Here’s an example of the above on my sandbox.

(Tobias Eigen) #18

This is coming together nicely, Angus - nice work. Only suggestion at this stage is to rename “Nominated” to “Nominees”.

Pretty cool that the election admin can remove a nominee and then add them again, and have the pitch still show up at the top. It’s quite seamless.

(Sam) #19

This is really nice @angus!

Would making the results private (admin-only, I suppose) be within the scope of this plugin? My community runs elections regularly, but we wouldn’t want a visible running tally for the in-progress elections or even for the totals at the end to be public.

(Angus McLeod) #20

Agreed. Done.

You mean all users are allowed to vote, but only admins can see the results? This would be an edit of the polls plugin itself, as that handles the voting. Possible to do though.

(Sam) #21

Ah, okay. Yeah that would be it, everyone can vote but only admins can see the results.

I thought it might be a task for the poll plugin, but since this was the specific application I had in mind for admin-only results I thought it was worth asking, just in case. :slight_smile:

(Angus McLeod) #22

More updates

The poll itself now also has the full nominee details, i.e. avatar, @username and nomination statement excerpt. The results pane uses usernames only (it is too cramped otherwise).

Admins can toggle back and forth between the ‘nominate’ and ‘electing’ states at will, via topic edits. For example, rather than clicking “Start Election” you could update the state via this dropdown. Or if you wanted to go back to the nomination stage after starting the election, you can do so.

We can still add that as a setting in this plugin by overriding certain aspects of the polls plugin. I’ll do that tomorrow or the day after.

(Joshua Rosenfeld) #23

I personally think this would be a great expansion to the polls plugin. I see two neat areas for expansion: results only visible to admins, and users only visible to admins (everyone can see results). Your thoughts @erlend_sh?

In polls: Make results and users only visible to admins
(Christoph) #24

How about making that “badge” global, i.e. visible on all posts by the user and linking back to the election topic? This could help advertize the ongoing election.

(Angus McLeod) #25

Good idea. Will take a look at this.

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #26

Yeah, I seem to recall this being requested before but I can’t find the topic. #pr-welcome for these two features @codinghorror?