Email-less and password-less registration & authentication

E-mail should be optional. Using e-mail is getting more and more unreliable, impossible due to the big e-mail provider oligopoly.

Now suddenly gmail is blocking my domain name.

• Even after perfectly setting up all the e-mail security (SPF, DKIM, DMARC, …) for years
    • What do I mean by perfect? All the e-mail security testing and reporting tools are showing “100% OK” and
    • the domain name hasn’t been in any spam lists (spamhouse…) for years either.

But you can contact gmail? Sure…

Quote Sender Contact Form - Gmail Help

We’ll use the information you provide to investigate and improve our spam and abuse detection systems. Unfortunately, we can’t provide details about our findings during or after the investigation.

So likely the answer can be like “yeah, we looked into it, we didn’t fix it, the issue is on your side but you won’t share any spam examples and we don’t tell you what the issue is”… That is, if there is any issue at all.

I used that contact form anyhow. Takes two weeks for mail to reply, the form said at the end. That makes e-mail pretty much unreliable and too cumbersome to work with.

It’s not only my experience.

Many other people blogged about similar experiences.

These shenanigans are on top of all the technical difficulties of self-hosting your e-mail server.

Could you please make e-mail optional?

• When signing up with e-mail address: Password recovery will be possible.
  • When signing up without e-mail address: Password recovery will be impossible.
    • If allowed by the site administrator (optional setting), warn the user but permit signup without e-mail address.
    • Only username + password.