Email problem after upgrade

We’ve encountered a problem after running the latest discourse upgrade. We’re getting the following notice on our admin panel:

Some problems have been found with your installation of Discourse:

*** There are 71 email jobs that failed. Check your app.yml and ensure that the mail server settings are correct. [See the failed jobs in Sidekiq].**

There have been no recent changes to the app.yml file. We rebooted the server that our discourse resides and issued the command ./launcher rebuild app. This did not resolve the problem.

This is the error we’re seeing in Sidekiq:

Jobs::HandledExceptionWrapper: Wrapped Net::SMTPAuthenticationError: 535 5.7.0 Mailgun is not loving your login or password

We’ve contacted mailgun with the credentials we have set in our app.yml file. With the credentials provided, they were able to test authentication via telnet with success. They also stated the following:

Can’t say for certain but my theory would be the app.yml file might have some type restriction or permissions required to access. Failure to access the file could possibly lead to authentication not being passed to the SMTP client so when tries the SMTP Mailgun, no SMTP credentials are presented then you received 535 5.7.0 Mailgun is not loving your login or password.

The permissions on the app.yml file are set to -rw-r–r–

Please let me know if there are any steps we should try. Any help in this matter will be greatly appreciated.

2 Likes

Are there any “#” character in the password?

2 Likes

There are no “#” characters in the password.

Any other weird characters (like ’ or ") that might cut the password?

Is the password “bare” or inside double quotes ?

There are a few special characters but the password is enclosed in " "

Updated my app.yml file with new credentials. That seems to have done the trick.

Thanks for your help Régis!

3 Likes