Emails have stopped sending - end of file reached

DISCOURSE_SMTP_DOMAIN: community.acescentral.com didn’t fix the problem
DISCOURSE_SMTP_DOMAIN: acescentral.com gave me a 502 error

How are you testing? From the “send test email” page in the admin console, or discourse-doctor?

It looks like the first line should work. You’re using smtp-relay.gmail.com port 587?

% nc smtp-relay.gmail.com 587
220 smtp-relay.gmail.com ESMTP gi23sm1000156pjb.0 - gsmtp
ehlo community.acescentral.com
250-smtp-relay.gmail.com at your service, [66.195.179.45]
250-SIZE 157286400

Second should work too, though.

% nc smtp-relay.gmail.com 587
220 smtp-relay.gmail.com ESMTP z17sm80799oor.20 - gsmtp
ehlo acescentral.com
250-smtp-relay.gmail.com at your service, [66.195.179.45]
250-SIZE 157286400

HOWEVER: It looks like discourse-doctor is unable to send with my (working, received emails this morning from it) configuration - there may be something it’s missing. I’ve updated the bug with that as well.

I was using discourse-doctor but thanks for the heads up that might now be showing the actual status.

I am using smtp-relay.gmail.com port 587

Im exactly same with @agf1997 and terribely looking for an answer

Follow

Fill the new env var with your email domain and rebuild.

1 Like

@Syonyk Awesome troubleshooting! Thanks for going above and beyond!

I was able to update my DISCOURSE_SMTP_DOMAIN in app.yml and rebuild with success. In my particular case I was then able to send the test email, and all other emails have been sending correctly since.

I performed this change on Friday afternoon, and wanted to monitor for issues before posting back to say that my particular issue was resolved. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

I’m not sure what it says about me that I consider “pulling out tcpdump” to be a sane part of troubleshooting. :confused: I come from a weird sysadmin legacy. In any case, glad it’s resolved for you as well!

2 Likes