Discourse with other websites, SMTP issue: End of file reached

(to staff: this is unrelated to the hosted subscription that my account is also associated with)

I installed Discourse on a VPS using instructions from Running other websites on the same machine as Discourse but with this difference: I adapted the app.yml before the first install:

sudo mkdir /var/discourse
sudo git clone https://github.com/discourse/discourse_docker.git /var/discourse
cd /var/discourse
sudo cp samples/standalone.yml containers/app.yml
sudo nano containers/app.yml

In the YAML I commented out ports section, added - "templates/web.socketed.template.yml" and set hostname + SMTP:

## TODO: The domain name this Discourse instance will respond to
  ## Required. Discourse will not work with a bare IP number.
  DISCOURSE_HOSTNAME: 'discuss.mydomain.community'

## TODO: List of comma delimited emails that will be made admin and developer
  ## on initial signup example 'user1@example.com,user2@example.com'
  DISCOURSE_DEVELOPER_EMAILS: 'someuser@protonmail.com,anotheruser@otherdomain.io'

## TODO: The SMTP mail server used to validate new accounts and send notifications
  # SMTP ADDRESS, username, and password are required
  # WARNING the char '#' in SMTP password can cause problems!
  DISCOURSE_SMTP_ADDRESS: smtp.myprovider.email
  DISCOURSE_SMTP_PORT: 465
  DISCOURSE_SMTP_USER_NAME: mydomain-no-reply@otherdomain.io
  DISCOURSE_SMTP_PASSWORD: pa$$word
  #DISCOURSE_SMTP_ENABLE_START_TLS: true           # (optional, default true)

Then I bootstrapped and launched Discourse app:

sudo ./launcher bootstrap app
sudo ./launcher start app

That worked. I stopped discourse and configured the Outer nginx (at /etc/nginx/conf.d/discourse.conf) with the suggested http-only config (just for testing). I could access http://discuss.mydomain.community.

I stopped discourse once again and with certbot I upgraded the discourse.conf and now have:

server {
	server_name discuss.mydomain.community;  # <-- change this

location / {
		proxy_pass http://unix:/var/discourse/shared/standalone/nginx.http.sock:;
		proxy_set_header Host $http_host;
		proxy_http_version 1.1;
		proxy_set_header X-Forwarded-For $proxy_add_x_forwarded_for;
		proxy_set_header X-Forwarded-Proto $scheme;
		proxy_set_header X-Real-IP $remote_addr;
	}

listen [::]:443 ssl ipv6only=on; # managed by Certbot
    listen 443 ssl; # managed by Certbot
    ssl_certificate /etc/letsencrypt/live/discuss.mydomain.community/fullchain.pem; # managed by Certbot
    ssl_certificate_key /etc/letsencrypt/live/discuss.mydomain.community/privkey.pem; # managed by Certbot
    include /etc/letsencrypt/options-ssl-nginx.conf; # managed by Certbot
    ssl_dhparam /etc/letsencrypt/ssl-dhparams.pem; # managed by Certbot

}
server {
    if ($host = discuss.mydomain.community) {
        return 301 https://$host$request_uri;
    } # managed by Certbot

listen 80; listen [::]:80;
	server_name discuss.mydomain.community;
    return 404; # managed by Certbot
}

So far, so good. I can access Discourse over https (I later did a ./launcher rebuild app when things didn’t work, but that made no difference).

In the ‘Finish installation’ screen after submitting the registration form I get " We sent an activation mail to someuser@protonmail.com" .

Problem: no mail arrives.

No email arrives in the admin’s email inbox. Checking on mydomain-no-reply@otherdomain.io mailbox, and nothing to see either.

Note: The whole problem might be caused because the mail user is on otherdomain.io and must reside on mydomain.community. But I as far as I know this is no requirement.

Started troubleshooting and subsequently tested with following app.yml changes (with a rebuild app in between):

DISCOURSE_SMTP_ENABLE_START_TLS: false

No success. Continuing:

## If you want to set the 'From' email address for your first registration, uncomment and change:
  - exec: rails r "SiteSetting.notification_email='mydomain-no-reply@otherdomain.io"

So I proceeded with Troubleshooting email on a new Discourse install :

• otherdomain.io has DKIM and SPF properly set in DNS
  • Using telnet from the VPS to the SMTP provider works
  • Using telnet from the Docker container (with docker exec and telnet install) works too

I ran ./discourse-doctor and there were 2 parts that jumped out (rest of the results were as expected):

========================================
Discourse version at discuss.mydomain.community: Discourse 2.6.0.beta2 
Discourse version at localhost: NOT FOUND
==================== DNS PROBLEM ====================
This server reports NOT FOUND, but discuss.mydomain.community reports Discourse 2.6.0.beta2 .
This suggests that you have a DNS problem or that an intermediate proxy is to blame.
If you are using Cloudflare, or a CDN, it may be improperly configured.
==================== MAIL TEST ====================
For a robust test, get an address from http://www.mail-tester.com/
Sending mail to REDACTED  . . 
Testing sending to test-k86jiyqb9@srv1.mail-tester.com using smtp.myprovider.email:465.
======================================== ERROR ========================================
                                    UNEXPECTED ERROR

end of file reached

====================================== SOLUTION =======================================
This is not a common error. No recommended solution exists!

Please report the exact error message above to https://meta.discourse.org/
(And a solution, if you find one!)

I tried twice. Once with the configured email, once with a mail-tester.com provided one. Same results. So that does not look good.

Note: Apparently the docker install procedure also serves beta versions. Good to know.

Looking at the production log it has:

Started GET "/" for REDACTED-IP at 2020-09-03 06:21:57 +0000
Processing by FinishInstallationController#index as HTML
  Rendering finish_installation/index.html.erb within layouts/finish_installation
  Rendered finish_installation/index.html.erb within layouts/finish_installation (Duration: 3.2ms | Allocations: 356)
  Rendered layouts/_head.html.erb (Duration: 15.7ms | Allocations: 2969)
Completed 200 OK in 323ms (Views: 140.3ms | ActiveRecord: 0.0ms | Allocations: 32137)
Started GET "/finish-installation/register" for REDACTED-IP at 2020-09-03 06:22:01 +0000
Processing by FinishInstallationController#register as HTML
  Rendering finish_installation/register.html.erb within layouts/finish_installation
  Rendered finish_installation/register.html.erb within layouts/finish_installation (Duration: 7.1ms | Allocations: 1607)
  Rendered layouts/_head.html.erb (Duration: 22.3ms | Allocations: 3139)
Completed 200 OK in 107ms (Views: 41.3ms | ActiveRecord: 0.0ms | Allocations: 11760)
Started POST "/finish-installation/register" for REDACTED-IP at 2020-09-03 06:22:22 +0000
Processing by FinishInstallationController#register as HTML
  Parameters: {"utf8"=>"✓", "authenticity_token"=>"l1hEEsK/gur5yplJdMIHttZAgYcuzLLkESaAI87IMb88nAFqNwi7l3yJ+3EJBw7leFypVGbH4C5hJl7VnJVYBQ==", "email"=>"someuser@protonmail.com", "username"=>"someusername", "password"=>"[FILTERED]", "commit"=>"Register"}
Redirected to https://discuss.mydomain.community/finish-installation/confirm-email
Completed 302 Found in 48ms (ActiveRecord: 0.0ms | Allocations: 4246)
  Rendering layouts/email_template.html.erb
  Rendered layouts/email_template.html.erb (Duration: 0.2ms | Allocations: 31)
Started GET "/finish-installation/confirm-email" for REDACTED-IP at 2020-09-03 06:22:22 +0000
Processing by FinishInstallationController#confirm_email as HTML
  Rendering finish_installation/confirm_email.html.erb within layouts/finish_installation
  Rendered finish_installation/confirm_email.html.erb within layouts/finish_installation (Duration: 2.3ms | Allocations: 418)
  Rendered layouts/_head.html.erb (Duration: 7.9ms | Allocations: 1612)
Completed 200 OK in 25ms (Views: 22.1ms | ActiveRecord: 0.0ms | Allocations: 4611)
Delivered mail ea8af868-4a2c-4312-85dd-f57061a3cd90@discuss.mydomain.community (60015.9ms)
Job exception: Net::ReadTimeout

Waiting for a bit and then via the browser requested ‘Resend notification email’. The following was now added to the production log:

Delivered mail 47ca6f15-cd9e-4c96-a670-6646e2bda585@discuss.mydomain.community (60007.9ms)
Job exception: end of file reached

Delivered mail 02367872-af3a-4df4-9a68-4e5e7c5eda60@discuss.mydomain.community (60007.4ms)

Delivered mail ee9ee1fc-6fd1-4970-89fa-260efe2dd04c@discuss.mydomain.community (60014.1ms)

Rendered layouts/email_template.html.erb (Duration: 0.1ms | Allocations: 31)
Delivered mail 9030f87b-99df-4de2-9a60-2c57f7c752de@discuss.mydomain.community (60007.0ms)

Started PUT "/finish-installation/resend-email" for REDACTED-IP at 2020-09-03 06:31:22 +0000
Processing by FinishInstallationController#resend_email as HTML
  Parameters: {"authenticity_token"=>"NE21scxxyZz3/DxDkoF8kwi9GXoNKvnstNJdKZjQs7afigDKWcbw4XK/XnvvRHTApqExqUUghybE1oPfyo3aDA=="}
  Rendering finish_installation/resend_email.html.erb within layouts/finish_installation
  Rendered finish_installation/resend_email.html.erb within layouts/finish_installation (Duration: 0.9ms | Allocations: 163)
  Rendered layouts/_head.html.erb (Duration: 2.5ms | Allocations: 269)
Completed 200 OK in 63ms (Views: 6.5ms | ActiveRecord: 0.0ms | Allocations: 6408)
Delivered mail 127cc350-3fb0-4ef1-8759-391fb407b1cb@discuss.mydomain.community (60008.0ms)
Job exception: Net::ReadTimeout

Delivered mail d9c70dfd-5a8b-4f4c-bafa-5a540fc8ed4f@discuss.mydomain.community (60010.0ms)

Delivered mail e9e67ed1-d7b1-4e8a-ba11-30501c6fae89@discuss.mydomain.community (60012.4ms)

Delivered mail 82d0361e-0349-4a1a-928e-dcb16dcffdbc@discuss.mydomain.community (60008.6ms)

I contacted my hosting provider to see if the problem was on their end. They said that according to them this configuration should work fine, but that the VPS had caused no activity at all on the SMTP server.

So that’s my current situation… posting to Meta.

Could it be that outgoing traffic to the mail server is being blocked? Can you telnet there? From inside the container?

1 Like

Yes, I can successfully connect to the SMTP server using telnet from inside the Docker container. Though I cannot send a test email with telnet, as my provider does not allow that (closes connection when sending further commands).

1 Like

Solution appeared simple. Though my provider indicates the port above, I telnetted 587 and found it working. So I changed app.yml, did a rebuild… and things worked fine :smiley:

1 Like

Before I saw this I was going to recommend this change.

Port 465 is SMTP-over-SSL, which is deprecated
Port 587 is the MSA port (mail submission agent) on which STARTTLS (upgrade from a plaintext to a TLS connection) is typically supported

When you had 465 in the configuration, Discourse was trying to talk plaintext to an SSL port.

4 Likes

Thank you, @supermathie, I made your answer the solution. Clear explanation.

2 Likes

Hi @supermathie

apparently port 465 has been (or is in the process to be) un-obsoleted as per RFC 8314. My current email provider (mailfence.com) seems to follow that recommendation.

Is there any way to force TLS on connection using port 465? This should hopefully sort my issue, as I have verified with swaks that using STARTTLS (–tls) fails, whereas using --tls-on-connect (–tlsc) works fine from within the container:

swaks --to user@example.com --from myuser@mailfence.com --server smtp.mailfence.com:465 --auth LOGIN --tlsc --auth-user myuser@mailfence.com

Cheers,

1 Like

Ah, it’s being repurposed as submission-over-TLS, that’s sensible.

Not at the moment. Looks like ActionMailer supports that when you set :ssl = true in smtp_settings but we don’t have a code pathway at the moment to enable that.

I’m sure we would welcome a PR that added that support.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.