Embed Discourse Post in Wordpress blog post?

Hi team,

It it possible to embed a Discourse forum post, into a post on my wordpress blog?

I have a forum user who created a great forum post, and I would like to feature his forum post in a new wordpress blog post that I am creating.

Thanks!

Ryan

3 Likes

Would something like what is outlined in this post work for you?

It’s not yet a part of the WordPress plugin, but it could be added if there is some interest in using it.

Edit: The WP Discourse plugin now gives you the option to link existing Discourse topics to WordPress posts.

9 Likes

Is it part of the plugin now? How To Integrate Discourse Forum With WordPress | WPism says one feature is “Ability to publish selected posts as Forum topics on Discourse”.

Yes. You can link an existing Discourse topic to a WordPress post:

Linking a Discourse topic to a WordPress post does not pull the Discourse topic’s content to WordPress. It just pulls the Discourse comments to the WordPress post. Once an existing Discourse topic is linked to a WordPress post, you get the same functionality as you get when you publish a new post to Discourse.

3 Likes

I have interest in this for sure. thanks

i definitely have interest in pulling a Discourse topic’s content to WordPress.

i’m about to convert a SMF forum to a Discourse+WP setup. the SMF forum has many topics in a category that i would like converted to separate WP posts. each of those topics on SMF already has replies, so i’d also like those replies converted to comments in their parent WP posts.

what’s the best approach to do this?
convert SMF to Discourse first? then manually create WP posts with short codes to the converted Discourse topics… then link those Discourse topics to their WP posts to pull the comments? is there an easier way?

1 Like

You can link existing Discourse topics to WordPress posts. The linking needs to be done on a per-post basis. Linking a post to Discourse causes it to function in the exact same way as if you publish a WordPress post to Discourse - Discourse comments are not converted to WordPress comments, but a selection of Discourse comments can be displayed below the WordPress post.

2 Likes