Embedded youtube video has made abuse queue unusable

Boy, I’m finding them this week, aren’t I?

The review queue on our site has been blocked by a massive render of an embedded youtube video. Currently viewing on a Chromebook, fully updated Chrome. Confirmed on Windows 10, Chrome. Also confirmed on Firefox, Windows.

Here’s the actual content of the post:

https://youtu.be/OTk6m3U54po

Screenshot of the post itself (currently still hidden because I can’t clear the flag):

Here’s a screenshot of what I’m seeing in the queue (across at least two themes, this one was taken in the default.)

This is covering at least one other post in the abuse queue because of the display problem. It looks like a post waiting on approval, but I can deal with neither post because of the grossly mis-rendered youtube screenshot. I’m going to see if I can get to the other post to approve it but will leave the problematic flag in place for your review.

Edit: Yeah, I was able to clear the other post through. Not sure if this is related or a separate issue, but after approving the queued post, the notification count cleared and a refresh showed nothing. The problematic post returned after a couple of minutes. Odd behavior but no big deal in the long run.

5 Likes

Yep, can confirm I had this one. (Then no longer because my oneboxes stopped working specifically for YouTube) But this happened on latest and what was considered latest 3/4 days ago.

2 Likes

Able to reproduce this one. A small workaround is to disable the video preview by adding brackets around the YouTube link. That way you can access the review queue again to deal with the flag. However, if you want to keep the post and you remove the brackets after dealing with the flag, the video will cover the entire review queue again when opening the Review queue history.

1 Like

Something similar also happens when checking the Edit History :

1 Like

This is trivially fixable with css, either locally via f12 or via admin, customize.

This css in https://github.com/discourse/discourse/blob/master/plugins/lazy-yt/assets/stylesheets/lazyYT.css appears to be the culprit.

.ytp-thumbnail-image {
  position: absolute;
  width: 100%;
  height: 100%;
  object-fit: cover;
}

The onebox div that would restrict the dimensions is missing the lazyYT-container class on the review queue and edit history screens changing the meaning of 100% for those instances.

2 Likes

This clause is being stripped from the lazyYT-container in the review queue:

style="width: 480px; padding-bottom: 270px;"

Edit: Formatting is also broken in nojs view.

EDIT: PR submitted with the fix that @ClawdiaWolf pointed out.

7 Likes

Could be related issue, but I noticed after upgrading to 2.5.0.beta4 that embedded YouTube videos in posts no longer have a lazyYT container that I can target to make my videos responsive.

I had been using the following CSS:

.lazyYT {
    height: 0 !important;
    width: 100% !important;
    padding-bottom: 56.25% !important;
} 

Now this CSS doesn’t work.

If this issue is related, please let me know.

1 Like

False alarm, it’s unrelated.

I discovered the cause was that a YouTube link with a list (?list=) caused the lazyYT container not to display. I simply edited the link in the member’s post.

Example: this video link works, however this video link (same video) doesn’t create a YT container.

Yes, we’re aware of this issue and will get it resolved ASAP. You can track progress here:

5 Likes