Encrypted PGP Messaging

(Andrew ) #42

I basically outlined what I was getting at in my previous post attempting to articulate threat models and messaging models. My last post may have distracted from that.

###TLDR:

1. The social and technical landscape has changed since this thread stopped in 2014.
  2. I really like the implementations of PGP notifications by Facebook and the aforementioned WP plugin. Discourse adding that capability would be helpful.
  3. I’d also love to be able to use Discourse messaging secured by something like Signal Protocol so I could avoid Facebook Messenger altogether for private conversations with forum users (currently, we end up shifting back and forth).
  4. My aesthetic preference for encrypting everything likely does not represent most users.

Email notifications with no content leakage would certainly be less useful, but it would alleviate some of the concerns. Thank you for pointing that out.

I don’t think I have anything further to add.

(Sam Saffron) #43

The way I see it this completely solves “Thread Model 3”

Big Data: User email providers (Gmail, Yahoo!, Microsoft, etc.). Transactional email providers (Mandrill, etc.). Attacks on email in transmission or at rest.

I would only be comfortable solving

Directly in the Discourse mobile app (or whatever packaged desktop app).