Events Plugin 📆

Thank you for your feedback, much appreciated!

I have made sure the links to the documentation are correct in this meta topic. We will be making sure that the links in the plugin are ending up in the right place soon. You can find the documentation here Docs - Coöperative

The correct order of adding things is Provider - Source - Connection. Because Connections is what you will be adding most frequently, they are shown on the most left hand side.

A source is not the same as a filter. You will see that a Connection has button with a “funnel” icon that can be used to filter events, based on for instance if a certain word occurs in the event name.

An example would be:

Provider: Google Calendar
Source: The specific Google Calendar of @rgj
Connection: Have user @rgj create topics in a specific category for events from (source:) my (provider:) Google Calendar that correspond to (filter) a certain event name.

1 Like

Documentation for iCal on Docs-cooperative is still weird:

iCalendar providers don’t require any authentication, so you can just add one by selecting “icalendar”, giving it a name and saving the provider. If you’re integrating multiple

Is there any more things to know ?

I still don’t understand why my iCal field is not read, and i hoped the answer was there missing.
I’ve tried to put the link to the .ics file in both Provider URL and Source Options/URI fields, but when I try to recover the events, I get : Finished importing from <calendar name>. Retrieved 0 events, created 0 events and updated 0 events.

Can the problem the problem be caused by the fact that Nextcloud .ics link does not actually finish by .ics but by /?export ? (e.g. nextcloud ics link)

That link does not work for me, nextcloud.cm-en-transition.fr does not accept connections.

@nathank doesn’t seem to be the case for us (UI reports plugin version 0.2.4 / Discourse 3.1.0.beta2). Here’s a screenshot for an event in Buenos Aires (UTC-3):

However, when viewed by a user in Finland (UTC+2), they see:

If I understand you correctly, this screenshot should say 00:00 (22:00 +2, or 19:00 + 5) for my Finnish user, right?

Just to confirm, here’s their timezone:
And the settings in the admin panel:
2023-03-22-133612_642x147_scrot

Am I missing something? Thanks!

Never mind, I think I just spotted it - events timezone default is what controls it, right? I had taken that to mean “when creating a new event, what timezone should we start with”. Could have saved myself a lot of screenshots :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m delighted to report that this is currently live with this plugin. And if you wish, you can still use 🗓 Discourse Event to present the events in the UI.

No probs - perhaps the setting text could be made a bit clearer with this.

3 Likes

I have a question about the plugin and it´s timezone.

The Events in webcal are one hour offset to the forum

The Webcal-Link starts like that:

webcal://forum.myforum.de/c/veranstaltungen/l/calendar.ics?time_zone=Europe/Berlin&user_api_key=

and events look like this when creating

but i get this in Thunderbird for example:

For Events in Wintertime, everything is in Sync and there is no offset.

What could be Wrong?

Thanks in Advance and for the very good work, love that plugin much more than the other Cal and Event Plugins.

1 Like

I think this might be due to a recently fixed bug; have you updated in the last day or two?

No, not that recently. I can´t even say if it was working before and switched to the offset now, like it would be during an update, or if it was like this.

Somone else having the same issue?

No, the update didn’t cause it, it fixes the bug, so please update to the latest version of the plugin.

2 Likes

@angus Just wanted to let you know that the ‘in the wild’ section at the top is a bit dated. Of the four examples:

• The top one you need to create an account to see the calendar
  • 2nd one shows a functional but broken calendar with two Calendar tabs rather than one
  • 3rd and 4th sites appear to no-longer exist
3 Likes

When i do an update from Beta5 to Beta6 via the admin portal, the date being injected before the topic title seems to vanish.

Is there something I should be doing other than just update discourse from the web interface to keep this working?

I rolled back to beta5 (by accident) and they came back.

Edit: Have seen you have your own discourse with bug report which i have now done.

2 Likes

The events and location plugin already have some linked features. Is there support coming for showing the location of an event in the ics stream/file?

I’m experiencing the same thing.

I may be missing the most basic thing here, but i can’t see how to add these events to the calendar or agenda.

Other posts here mention an ‘add to calendar’ button which i can’t see. I’ve turned all other plugins off, but if i create a new event both the calendar and agenda tabs remain empty

can’t see anything obvious in the settings

You need to turn on events for that specific category. It seems like the whole site setting isn’t working at the moment (will report and investigate this in coop.pavilion.tech)

Also, I’m afraid that you’ve only added a date in your example. The UI is a bit confusing re adding dates and events in Discourse as a whole. This particular plugin uses an Add Event button above the composer in the Original Post:

1 Like

Thanks @nathank. Yup the individual category settings are working well, its just the site-wide one that’s not.

1 Like

Hey @angus & @HamMan2118 - was there any findings on this issues. We´re facing the same problem of Loading times of 10 Seconds to start the calender.

Hey @elRicharde!

I did not find anything on my end, however I will contact our site manager later today to see if there is anything logged :slight_smile:

1 Like

Checked on my end as well, as i´m just a mod like you @HamMan2118 i also found nothing.
Actually it would help to copy our complete forum to a test instance and move many Events to a completly ne TOP-Category “Calendar-Archive” to see if this is helping.
But first of all as a mod i don´t have knowledge and resources to do so and our admins don´t have capacities for this as well - and in our real world Forum i don´t want to “try” something for Testing.
It would be very interesting to know why it is so slow and if there is anything to speed it up.