Events Plugin šŸ“†

Oops. Fixed. Try again.

3 Likes

Thanks again Pavilion team,
I find it not so obvious to connect to an iCal provider that is nor google and outlook (in my case, our own nextcloud). Documentation seems to be truncated on paragraph iCalendar

iCalendar providers donā€™t require any authentication, so you can just add one by selecting ā€œicalendarā€, giving it a name and saving the provider. If youā€™re integrating multiple

Were there more instructions ?

I donā€™t understand why the link providing the ics file ( http://[DOMAIN-NAME]/remote.php/dav/calendars/[USER]/[CALENDAR-URI]/?export [e.g.]) does not work ( Finished importing from ***. Retrieved 0 events, created 0 events and updated 0 events.)

Thanks in advance

Can the plugin be integrated with mobilizonā€™s free federated platform?
https://docs.joinmobilizon.org/contribute/integrations/

3 Likes

That would be awesome!

Iā€™ll be giving some more updates and guidance on this plugin next week.

I attempted to integrate with Mobilizon as part of the project. See here

For a window into this issue itā€™s worth consider the disposition toward event management in Disapora and Mastodon, the lack of adoption of these open source Meetup.com alternatives, or the fact that the Mobilizon documentation website was intermittently offline throughout the period of the research, most of their support forum is in French and that they have the only API on the list that uses basic authentication to obtain an access token. We say this not to criticise the developers of any of these services (as developers of open source software ourselves, weā€™re acutely aware of the challenges involved in such projects), but we want to be clear-eyed about the current situation.

Given time constraints I decided to focus on the more documented / stable alternatives. Iā€™ll attempt to integrate Mobilizon again in the future.

7 Likes

Any more updates on when we can the Events Integration Plugin features to be incorporated into the Events plugin? Thanks!

2 Likes

Hi, I just saw it after the update.

Where would you like to have feedback?

Here is one:

• All the links to discourse.pluginmanager.org do not work - in the first post here and on discourse.
  • Provider and Source is not clear from the start. Source seems more like a filter to me.
  • What is UID? I just want to import all automatically and manage what I see on discourse. Which category/tags do the events get? I would like to do that in the Source/Filter section. What is with event duplication? Filter implies that there is ONE event. Source kind-of makes it several.
  • What happens if events are deleted or moved. That is just something that I wonder about. E.g. delete should remove the time but not the discussion and reply with a note.
  • Mobilizon seems to be missing. You probably focus on big providers & standards. I see that you support ICal.
  • If you support ICalendar, please create an editable page like a Wiki in which people can add names of platforms. This way, it is clear for users which one they should use and if it is supported. Also, it might be good to point to a ICS export tutorial for each of them. That is something you only have to provide the space for and the community can extend the list.

To me, this workflow seems useful in a wizard/step wise dialog:

1. Please choose a provider - there will be a list of providers, a link to the documentation. Previous providers turn up here as a list.
  2. Please filter the events. You can apply several filters and they all must match. Previous filters turn up.
    • all events
    • all future events
    • events from start to end (inclusive)
    • UID - does this refer to the ICal UID?
    • Category - ICS categories by comma
  3. Check the events imported. - I have not been there, yet.
  4. Actions to do with the events:
    • Post in category
    • Post with tags
    • Prefix title

This is what I would like to do:

• (1) Add Google Provider (ICS)
  • (2) Filter events from today
  • (2) Filter events with category ā€œrepairā€
  • (3) Check events turn up
  • (4) Post in category repair

Again:

• (1) Choose existing Google Provider (ICS) from last step
  • (2) Filter events without category ā€œrepairā€
  • (4) Post in category General

Again:

• (1) Add Outlook Provider(ICS)
  • (4) Post in category General with tag ā€œcouncilā€

The UI in the current state looks to me like development perspective: First, you created the sources, later you added providers, still calling it source instead of filter. Also the flow goes from right to left for me: (1) provider (2) source/filter. I proposed how I would like to use it.

2 Likes

Thank you for your feedback, much appreciated!

I have made sure the links to the documentation are correct in this meta topic. We will be making sure that the links in the plugin are ending up in the right place soon. You can find the documentation here Docs - Coƶperative

The correct order of adding things is Provider - Source - Connection. Because Connections is what you will be adding most frequently, they are shown on the most left hand side.

A source is not the same as a filter. You will see that a Connection has button with a ā€œfunnelā€ icon that can be used to filter events, based on for instance if a certain word occurs in the event name.

An example would be:

Provider: Google Calendar
Source: The specific Google Calendar of @rgj
Connection: Have user @rgj create topics in a specific category for events from (source:) my (provider:) Google Calendar that correspond to (filter) a certain event name.

1 Like

Documentation for iCal on Docs-cooperative is still weird:

iCalendar providers donā€™t require any authentication, so you can just add one by selecting ā€œicalendarā€, giving it a name and saving the provider. If youā€™re integrating multiple

Is there any more things to know ?

I still donā€™t understand why my iCal field is not read, and i hoped the answer was there missing.
Iā€™ve tried to put the link to the .ics file in both Provider URL and Source Options/URI fields, but when I try to recover the events, I get : Finished importing from <calendar name>. Retrieved 0 events, created 0 events and updated 0 events.

Can the problem the problem be caused by the fact that Nextcloud .ics link does not actually finish by .ics but by /?export ? (e.g. nextcloud ics link)

That link does not work for me, nextcloud.cm-en-transition.fr does not accept connections.

@nathank doesnā€™t seem to be the case for us (UI reports plugin version 0.2.4 / Discourse 3.1.0.beta2). Hereā€™s a screenshot for an event in Buenos Aires (UTC-3):

However, when viewed by a user in Finland (UTC+2), they see:

If I understand you correctly, this screenshot should say 00:00 (22:00 +2, or 19:00 + 5) for my Finnish user, right?

Just to confirm, hereā€™s their timezone:
And the settings in the admin panel:
2023-03-22-133612_642x147_scrot

Am I missing something? Thanks!

Never mind, I think I just spotted it - events timezone default is what controls it, right? I had taken that to mean ā€œwhen creating a new event, what timezone should we start withā€. Could have saved myself a lot of screenshots :slight_smile:

1 Like

Iā€™m delighted to report that this is currently live with this plugin. And if you wish, you can still use šŸ—“ Discourse Event to present the events in the UI.

No probs - perhaps the setting text could be made a bit clearer with this.

3 Likes

I have a question about the plugin and itĀ“s timezone.

The Events in webcal are one hour offset to the forum

The Webcal-Link starts like that:

webcal://forum.myforum.de/c/veranstaltungen/l/calendar.ics?time_zone=Europe/Berlin&user_api_key=

and events look like this when creating

but i get this in Thunderbird for example:

For Events in Wintertime, everything is in Sync and there is no offset.

What could be Wrong?

Thanks in Advance and for the very good work, love that plugin much more than the other Cal and Event Plugins.

1 Like

I think this might be due to a recently fixed bug; have you updated in the last day or two?

No, not that recently. I canĀ“t even say if it was working before and switched to the offset now, like it would be during an update, or if it was like this.

Somone else having the same issue?

No, the update didnā€™t cause it, it fixes the bug, so please update to the latest version of the plugin.

2 Likes

@angus Just wanted to let you know that the ā€˜in the wildā€™ section at the top is a bit dated. Of the four examples:

• The top one you need to create an account to see the calendar
  • 2nd one shows a functional but broken calendar with two Calendar tabs rather than one
  • 3rd and 4th sites appear to no-longer exist
3 Likes

When i do an update from Beta5 to Beta6 via the admin portal, the date being injected before the topic title seems to vanish.

Is there something I should be doing other than just update discourse from the web interface to keep this working?

I rolled back to beta5 (by accident) and they came back.

Edit: Have seen you have your own discourse with bug report which i have now done.

2 Likes

The events and location plugin already have some linked features. Is there support coming for showing the location of an event in the ics stream/file?