Favicon is failing to load for logged-in users

Hey @tgxworld!

It was indeed solved by fixing the certificate and using Let’s Encrypt, even with that setting set to true. Thank you all for helping me with this issue. I really appreciate it! You’re the best!

:heart:

7 Likes

For me, the solution was to re-upload the favicon using /wizard. (Might also work with upload at admin/required). I had no problems with the certificate.
Using v2.2.0.beta8 +93.

Still seems like a bug to me.

3 Likes

Have you also got the dynamic favicon enabled?

1 Like

I’ve also had this gremlin. I simply toggled the user setting suggested and the favicon appeared! This does feel like a bug? (or there’s a dependency I don’t know about).

This doesn’t work with this checked on Safari (as a pinned tab):

Yes, that was the bug. Enabling dynamic favicon reverted to a default icon for logged in users.

2 Likes

FWIW, we are seeing the “sketchy” default favicon on our site https://bf1.akimbo.com which is hosted by Discourse with a Business plan.

We have a favicon uploaded in the settings, and it’s displaying properly for logged-out users…

… and for admin/staff users.

But it’s showing the “sketchy default” favicon for logged-in non-admin users.

I’ve just tried changing the “Show new / updated topic count on browser icon” setting to see if that helps.

Any thing else I should try?

Now, THAT is super weird.

I would tell you to use Let’s Encrypt, but since you’re using Discourse hosting, I don’t know what to do.

Maybe to temporarily fix it, disable the dynamic favicon.

Not really, we can help debug this, having a quick look.

Hmm… looks like the proxied favicon is not right:
https://bf1.akimbo.com/favicon/proxied

Debugging … continues…

1 Like

Thanks @sam. It looks like it’s working now, and I did turn off the dynamic favicon. Thanks @neemiasvf

Nahh … not quite working @alxpck

The favicon you uploaded is ginormous! We have built in protection that avoids proxying favicons larger than 50k and this favicon is 55k!!!

Can you shrink it down, this is a massive price to pay, as a guideline aim for a 5k sized favicon.

Once you do that and re-upload it will work correctly.

@dan can you help improve this subsystem?

What are legitimate sizes of favicons? (64x64 or 128x128 maybe?)

Once we figure this out we should automatically optimize the image down to that size for all our favicon usage (both proxied and direct) this is a huge savings network wise. (still keep the original but grap a thumbnail when we tell the client what the favicon is or proxy)

1 Like

I use 32x32. I believe that’s the most common dimension.

You take a look at this @alxpck:

It has some useful information and reference tools.

Oh… :man_facepalming: sorry about that. Easy fix.

5 Likes

I’ve made some improvement here. For sites using the local file store for uploads, the favicon upload will be read directly from disk instead of fetching it over the network since the former is more efficient and reliable. In the case for sites using an external store, the fetching of the favicon file is also now more reliable since we don’t hardcode a max filesize anymore but instead use the filesize of the favicon upload. Do note that we’re planning to introduce a validation for site setting uploads which will restrict the size of the site setting uploads.

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/pull/7160

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.