Feature: Like via email

<3 seems reasonable to me.

It’d be pretty easy to pull these out into a site setting, actually; out of scope for this PR but might be a nice next step.

1 Like

I tried out this feature and got an error:

[Discourse Meta] Email issue – Topic Closed
We’re sorry, but your email message to [“reply+7f1f16a3767781b3981c4b83bcbb9f05@discourse.org”] (titled Re: [Discourse Meta] [bug] Group mentions that begin with the same characters may be incorrect) didn’t work.

The topic you are replying to is currently closed and no longer accepting replies. If you believe this is in error, contact a staff member.

While replying should not be allowed, it is legitimate to like a post of a closed topic.

4 Likes

Sure, I think I can grab that over the weekend if it’s not resolved by then.

2 Likes

Wait… are you sure? As Closed != Archived. Archived prevents likes, edits, etc of a topic, but Closed, you can still Like… so wouldn’t you want this to mimic what Desktop/Mobile users are able to do?

1 Like

A member reported being able to +1 like via email, but then later logged in to check but found she had liked the wrong post (she +1 liked a reply to the post she wanted to like). She says she was then unable to reverse it as usual via the web interface. Is this disabled for some reason?

That’s always been the case. You only can undo a like/flag/etc during the window defined by the “post_undo_action_window_mins” site setting.

1 Like

Makes sense. It struck her probably only because she came to the post later and wanted to toggle it.

With liking by email, we have to be mindful to explain the risk of liking the wrong post to members, esp if it is not possible to reverse it later.

1 Like

A bug I reported was fixed and I mailed “+1” just to get the response that this was not possible, because the bug topic was closed. So in meta, this is still an issue.

1 Like