Convert a topic to a question which can be marked as solved

Right now, if I’m not mistaken, all topics within a category (with the solved plugin enabled) has the solved plugin enabled are potential questions which could have one post marked as solution.

Our previous forum software had a feature which could mark a topic as question, which would then show some visual information that the topic is a unanswered question and enable the “This reply is the correct” answer button for the original poster (and mods).

That was a great match for your community where only about the half of the topics are discussions and the other half are questions (which hopefully eventually get an answer post).

My feature request is to add an alternative per category setting besides the already existing “Allow topic owner and staff to mark a reply as the solution”, namely “Allow topic owners mark the topic as question (which can have a reply marked as solution/answer)”. Note that it should also be possible to convert a question topic to a non-question/normal topic.

5 Likes

I think that the work-around is to have a subcategory for questions and move them there if it’s a question.

I’m pretty sure that doing what you ask, even in a plugin, will be very difficult.

5 Likes

I would like to have this option.
The Solved plugin should finally become a part of the core.

1 Like

I also have a need for this functionality. I already use subcategories to subdivide my mobile tech site down to subcategories (e.g. tablets->Windows x86 tablets-> topics tagged with model and manufacturer). So that leaves me two options: enabling solved on all categories or adding a non-vendor specific troubleshooting and purchases question subcategory (e.g. tablets->troubleshooting and purchasing advice). This is hardly intuitive, though. What I really wish is a topic could be made converted into a question-and-answer forum (which the linked plugin does quite handedly) but also with solved functionality via a tag. That would be the ideal solution: marked as solved enabled via tagging.

1 Like

Does the QnA plugin not work together with Solved currently?

1 Like

They definitely work together, like PB & J! I just wish the Solved plugin could also be triggered on and off per topic via a tag like your Question Answer plugin already does. Thanks!

1 Like

I have the exact same situation.
QnA could be triggered with a tag, I’d like the same for solved.

So that I can search for all unresolved topics in a category, where not all posts are questions.

1 Like

Meta: how would I know, if this suggestion is accepted, rejected, or still not decided?

This will not be happening. Use a category as indicated earlier in the topic.